Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS idle

Vs_ss_gmtank

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
Ok I have a vs ss 5lt manual.

Now on start up the idle goes a bit over 1k revs then drops right down to around 700-800.

Thats cold idle and also hot idle..

But sometimes when its idling in the morning or at a set of lights it will sit at around 700-800 but then dip down to about 400ish for a few seconds then go back up to around 700-800 revs.

not really sure how ti go about to fix the problem, because surely seeing it idle at around 800 then just dip down to around 400ish revs for a few seconds then go back up is not normal?..

I'm pretty sure its been doing it for sooo long but never really took any notice but thought I should suss it out now!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Try replacing your throttle position sensor - around $30 from Repco.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Throttle Position Sensor just screws to the throttle body. But I really don't see what the problem is. Unless it's causing grief I wouldn't worry about it.

CNsylvester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS long bed ute
I started mine vs v6 today and on starting it make a sound like "pewch" or soft mini backfire, then it started to idle inconsistantly at traffic lights etc, but otherwise drove as normal on freeway at 100km. I have been slightly grazing speed bumps recently, could it be something do with exhaust due to minor bottoming out? THe care is not driven hard and no dogey fuel has gone into it that I know of.

boxy90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Manual
Excuse my ignorance but im unsure how to ask a question on this forum site . my vs commodore had a stuffed TPS so I replaced it a year ago and it runs fine . but if I have the air con on and I put my foot on the clutch to stop or change up or down gear the revs spike to about 1700 and it sounds like im riding the clutch . can anyone advise me on what could be the problem . thanks . again sorry for hijacking a post

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Could be the switch on your clutch is faulty. Maybe an aircon sensor isn't transmitting info. Both relay info to the ECU to control revs when you're changing gear.
They should show up as fault codes if you do a diagnostic scan on it.

Could be the iac valve or the throttle body butterfly sticking because they're gummed up and need a clean.