Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs ignition barrel

daniel199260

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000 SII
Hi.
Long story short i have snapped my key in the ignition barrel.
Now ive gone to a mate who is wrecking a VT and thought id grab the barrel and keyhead off him. When i went to put it in my vs. Its like it didnt fit. I sort of assumed they would all be the same but apparently not.
So my question is what key barrels will fit in a vs. Is it only vs. Or will others fit?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Yes it'll fit, get screw driver and push the steering lock mechanism down until it clicks to disengage it before putting the barrel in (it'll stay there by itself)
Also has to be in the acc position to line up with the switch and allow the spring loaded locking tab on the barrel itself to depress and lock into the housing.

daniel199260

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000 SII
Still not working for me mate. The new barrel will just not go in. The barrels look different aswell. One has a large hook sort of the on the end of it. And the new one doesnt. Will get pictures later

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The earlier ones had the extra "hook" shaped part, that doesn't matter.
Undo the switch and make sure the old barrel hasn't broken off inside it, it's a common failure point, if it has then you'll need to pick the broken piece out of it.
Try installing the new barrel without the switch on there and install the switch after.