Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS II 1996 Equipe and ODBII (CAN Bus)

marcwolf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe Sedan 1996
Hi Folks

I am not sure if my car is modern enought but I'd like to find out if my Commodore uses the CAN bus. I hav 2 projects in mind (Depending on the Bus)

1. Advanced Engine Monitoring system. This will be a small microcontroller that will read and display on a small display the current status of a variety of reading.

2. A small keypad that taps into the slow bus and controls the stereo, climate, and trip computer modes.

I have a good background in PicAxe's and Arduinos and can design circuits (Yes - I even etch my own boards) so I am pretty tech knowledgable.

Many thanks
Dave

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
Your the man I've been looking for I think. This would be changing the thread though.
I have thee plans and schematics for a "computer/ circuit layout" that needs making to add a hydrodgen fuel system to the car. A complete seperate system NOT squirt in some water. If I could get someone to make a list of the diodes, capictors etc needed it would be great. I have got a blank circuit board already (thanks to my neighbour who thought of me when at a garage sale). Are you interested in seeing it???

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Although the VS uses the 16 pin OBD11/CAN type diagnostic connector, it doesnt use OBD11 or CAN interface at all. It still uses the old ALDL 8192 baud interface. I think the 5.7 litre VS's used a different communication system again though..

marcwolf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe Sedan 1996
Hi Brett_jjj
Many thanks for the serious answer. I had a good look on the web and could not find much on the VR-VS and CAN's.. So I though I'd ask.

Bit of a shame as one can get some inexpensive CAN to RS232 interfaces out there and then one can scan all sorts of readings.

With the stereo - the one I am looking at says 'steering wheel controls' so I might still beable to make a small keyboard to CAN interface.. Failing that the stereo has an IR remore so I could still make up my own remote built into the steering wheel (thinking about the curvs section of the horn pad as mine does not have air bags)

The fund things wil be modding the dash so that a 2 DIN will fit into the VS, but that is all the fun of experimenting.
Many thanks for your reply
Dave

PROBLEM?

umadbro?
Reaction score
Members Ride
commo
while we're on the subject does any one make a Bluetooth adapter that is compatible with vr/vs so you can view realtime readings on your phone etc?

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
Hi Folks

I am not sure if my car is modern enought but I'd like to find out if my Commodore uses the CAN bus. I hav 2 projects in mind (Depending on the Bus)

1. Advanced Engine Monitoring system. This will be a small microcontroller that will read and display on a small display the current status of a variety of reading.

2. A small keypad that taps into the slow bus and controls the stereo, climate, and trip computer modes.

I have a good background in PicAxe's and Arduinos and can design circuits (Yes - I even etch my own boards) so I am pretty tech knowledgable.

Many thanks
Dave

you can get real time sensor and ECU data out of the ADL port anytime you like without the trouble of your own microcontroller. You just need a windows based display system.

Everything else you want to do already has a control wire somewhere that you can link in to with hard wiring to relocate controls. They are not a single feed bus system in the way that (I think) you are thinking they are.

BNGRANT_99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0l ute
I seen the other week a scan tool that fits into the cars diagnostics and has a iphone connector on the other. I am not sure though if tunerpro etc are compatably to iphone.. lets you see real time data if you can find the program for it. I think it was Repco but am not sure.. Was about $120 from memory..

Cheers
Brian