Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs l67 idle/surge

Flyl67Boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs Calais series 2 l67
Hey all. Have a vs calais ser II that recently started having trouble when idling. Now when the car is idling in you jab or put foot on accelerator the revs drop almost like its going to stall ? Has new plugs and leads air filter any help would be much appreciated thank you

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Start by cleaning the TB and the MAF.

Did this problem start after fitting new plugs/leads? If so, check the plug gap. For a stock L67 it should be 1.3mm with standard style plugs.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Vacuum leak?

Flyl67Boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs Calais series 2 l67
Okay ill clean maf and tb. When i changed the plugs i gapped them to 1.3 the problem was there before plugs the other week car was shuttering pretty back and engine light came on. The shutter was like as if car was running out fuel/breath

And also the speedo needle has a fit when you take drive for fisrt time in the day after car has heated up is okay most times.

Car did develop a hissing sound kind of sounds like its coming from where alternator is

I havent looked into vaccum look as i dont know where to start lol

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmmm, I think it's electrical. Check charging voltage and battery voltage when starting the engine. Check over all the battery/alternator/charging cable connections, make sure they are clean and tight.

Flyl67Boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs Calais series 2 l67
Battery is about 8 months or so old. I changed the terminal as one of the old ones broke but ill check everything over just to make sure and eliminate one possibilty at a time i guess. Its doing my head in cause car was going so smoothly

And what or how do you check charging voltage and battery voltage when starting the car ?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The proper way is with a multi-meter but you can use the dash diagnostic function to check the system voltage which will be a decent indicator to what is going on.

Flyl67Boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs Calais series 2 l67
Okay back again been i should have listed problems first to give everyone a better understanding

Rough idle/shudder
Drinks alot of fuel
Extractors glow red even though cats are brand new
Engine light came on a few times. And car was cutting out like as if fuel shortage
Speedo has a fit sometimes when car is cold

Obviously car isnt perfect ive just listed symptoms of drivability and seems like all problems are linked sorry if im being annoying just dont know when to look or start im good on the tools also and can tackle most jobs in the garage

Thank you any help is appricaited

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Check the fuel pressure. Glowing red can be a sign of an overly lean mixture.