Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Locked diff comparison

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Executive 3.8L
Hey, as i am looking at getting some form of diff lock in the future, i was wondering what type and brand would be best, so if you could please post what kind you have, how much and characteristics of the diff, that would be great. im looking for any thing between an LSD, a locker or a spool.
also its for a VS V6 Executive
thanks.
P.S. can we not have the age old argument between the mini spools and the LSDs

Last edited:

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Google lokka, Some people have said it used to be pretty loud when it would unlock but apparently they have changed the spring in it so its practically unheard.... Dont know how true it is
If i remember right they go for about 600ish?

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
there were lokka diff locks on ebay a while ago around the $450 mark. i can only comment on heresay etc on the lokka but yeah they make a click sound when they aren't engaged. but thats ok. i think if you change the spring tension in them it changes how sensitive they are to locking up.

i nearly bought one instead of a minispool, that reminds me i better go fit that haha.

WAFFEN SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VS Commodore and 5L VT Clubby
A box of piss got me a 2nd diff that I welded up for skid and drag days. only 40 min to change over and then the Mrs cant stack the car on her way to work because of the single spinner. Complete LSD diff go for $600, up to you what style you want but I think lockers are bloody hard on the control arms and bushes, Ive even seen a VS solid diff rip the bottom arm from the car mounting point.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
My own track car has a spool and a mate didnt even notice it when i took him for a drive around the streets. I have a good combo of suspension and bushes and it doesnt drive harsh at all. Very subtle shuffle even on 19's.

Drove a commodore with one of those mechanical Lokkas and its quite nice to drive except it's very sensitive to the throttle. If you so much as breathe on the throttle mid corner it engages and locks both axles in. A little noisey in the cabin, but there has to be some sort of comprimise i guess. The rachetting and sensitiveness can be adjusted by modding the internal springs.

Went through two re shims and one full rebuild of the holden LSD when my track car was a daily. That was in 5 years. This wasn't flogging the crap out of it. Just the odd skid. I found it was best when it had all new internals (not just a reshim) but i ended up selling it off in favour of the spool before i killed it again. Just had my VN's LSD machined and shimmed recently. Lasted 3000km before it went full one wheel. Did one little spot skid. Found that it chewed the cones to bits, so did a full rebuild on it with new bits. More $$$$ later its sweet as

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Executive 3.8L
thanks for all the replies
i dont really mind a noise from ratcheting as long as its not overly loud, im more leaning towards the locker but price...
dunno yet