Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Powersteering groan

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I'd put my money on the pump. The vanes wear and make a noise when it's under load. Does it make a noise when just idling and not moving the steering wheel?

nope its only when turning the wheel.....and the noise doesn't seem to be coming from as far as the engine bay.

Sounds more like from the firewall/closer to my feet...which is why I am thinking more and more that it is the bush that lots have mentioned

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
It might not hurt to replace the fluid in the power steering as well especially if it has turned a dark red.

Leigh80

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs executive wagon s2
Theres a bush where the steering column shaft passes through the firewall into the cabin,and when this bush dries out ,it makes this horrible moaning,groaning sound when the steering wheel is turned.My car was doing it really badly when I first got it,I was told I needed new P/S pump,new rack etc,then I read on here about this noise,the dry bush and the WD 40 trick,I sprayed WD 40 on it,and it instantly fixed the noise,completely gone,and now 2 years later,its still hasnt returned.I found that its easiest to spray upwards into the area from under the car.Ive since fixed this problem on a few friends VS's ,they had been told similar things like needing a new P/S pump etc.They were very happy to say the least to find out how easily this annoying problem can be fixed...
10 years later, just came across your post, after changing the ps pump and flushing the system it still had a groan, sprayed wd40 on it today and worked instantly. Couldn't thank you enough

Havabigjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman s2 & VY Acclaim Wagon
10 years later, just came across your post, after changing the ps pump and flushing the system it still had a groan, sprayed wd40 on it today and worked instantly. Couldn't thank you enough

about to try this too, before changing everything

Schtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS Ute
Throw another log on the fire, I'll be doing this tomorrow when it's light.

At least the new fluid in there is still red, not the black stuff with bits in it the thing came with...

(The joys of old car carp. Seems like whoever owned my car before me did maintain it, but their mechanical knowledge ran out on their mechanic's driveway. Not a clue, but at least all the stuff is fixable on my driveway. :) )

Havabigjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Throw another log on the fire, I'll be doing this tomorrow when it's light.

At least the new fluid in there is still red, not the black stuff with bits in it the thing came with...

(The joys of old car carp. Seems like whoever owned my car before me did maintain it, but their mechanical knowledge ran out on their mechanic's driveway. Not a clue, but at least all the stuff is fixable on my driveway. :) )

Hmmm, black stuff with bits is rarely good

Schtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS Ute
I know it's rarely good, but it still works and that's enough for me at the moment. If I stumble across a good cheap pump I might replace it, but I'm in no rush.

It was kind of like it was cooking oil after you've cooked something with flour, and the bits of flour that fell off sat in the bottom and got burned. Very fine, not metallic. Can't work out where it came from, and frankly don't actually care that much.

Havabigjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know it's rarely good, but it still works and that's enough for me at the moment. If I stumble across a good cheap pump I might replace it, but I'm in no rush.

It was kind of like it was cooking oil after you've cooked something with flour, and the bits of flour that fell off sat in the bottom and got burned. Very fine, not metallic. Can't work out where it came from, and frankly don't actually care that much.

I'd keep an eye on it and possibly flush out again.....what fluid did you use?

I've been topping up with Penrite with stop leak...it is almost clear

Schtoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS Ute
Just an update on this, I emptied the system (lock to lock, pump it out) and refilled with decent ATF. Gave the bushing a squirt and added in a table spoon of Lucas transfix. Now it makes very little noise under decent load (parking) and is generally pleasant enough. Not 'awesome' but perfectly serviceable and I'm not going to mess with it any more right now. It works, it's not getting worse, it'll do.

Havabigjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just an update on this, I emptied the system (lock to lock, pump it out) and refilled with decent ATF. Gave the bushing a squirt and added in a table spoon of Lucas transfix. Now it makes very little noise under decent load (parking) and is generally pleasant enough. Not 'awesome' but perfectly serviceable and I'm not going to mess with it any more right now. It works, it's not getting worse, it'll do.

that's awesome, thanks for the update