Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Radiator leaking around cap

Kingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Yeah the new cap is a Tridon brand.
The old cap was a Tridon too, the funny thing is the old cap worked fine on the old radiator, old cap on new radiator = leaks... new cap on new radiator = leaks...
I'll look into getting a CPC one then.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
yeah i bought a radiator cap from supercrap once and it didn't even have a rubber seal around the part that seals to the neck. man that leaked so bad it wasn't even funny. we're not just talking drips here, but absolute gushing.

Sound like it was a 'non recovery system' cap.

As used in HQ!!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
yeah, i had this problem. i tried a new trident cap and it leaked. i found that some of the plastic around the radiator cap fitting was damaged/worn a little from repeated removal of the radiator cap.

Yeah the new cap is a Tridon brand.
The old cap was a Tridon too, the funny thing is the old cap worked fine on the old radiator, old cap on new radiator = leaks... new cap on new radiator = leaks...
I'll look into getting a CPC one then.

in the end i fitted another CPC cap which i got from supercheap. i may also have bent the taps in a touch as well. the seal on the CPC cap is slightly different to the trident cap.

Kingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Just put on a CPC cap, and after a short hard drive no leaks around the cap.
We'll see how it goes over the next few days.

itchy123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
Is the new cap a Tridon brand? Seems to be now stocked but Bursons, Repco etc. instead of the CPC brand.
I had the same issues and tried a couple of new Tridon caps, still leaked.
Bought one from Holden (about the same price) and was pleased to see it was a CPC brand. No more cap leakage.
If you compare the two, you will notice a difference in the top seal.

ive just noticed today after reading this thread yesterday that my stupid piec of s%#t tridon bursons cap is leaking (only bout 2 months old)
i did notice it did this a while ago but i took it off and put it back on and it seemed to have solved it for a just over month lol
so the cpc are good?
thanks
adrian

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
CPC make the caps for GMH. Why buy something else?

Kingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Ok verdict is.... CPC caps are the way to go. I've been driving a fair bit and it hasn't leaked yet. But now I have found other problems! will this ever end?!?!

I thought a cap was a cap, didn't really matter what brand and I just asked for one at Sprint and got a Tridon.
My local auto shop (can't remember what they're called, used to be Motormate) had the CPC brand and even got one on the public holiday ;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
LOL, fix one leak and then it moves. i had.......have that issue. go around a make sure all the hose clamps are tight. then the water pump went. then i did the intake gaskets. now it weeps through the thermostat housing bolts. oh well. i can live with that for now