Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs random stalling

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
hi all, my old lady has a vs (1995) wagon and its got a stalling issue that i am tearing my hair out trying to solve. It only does it when there is zero throttle such as when you pull up to the lights. Its completely intermittent and impossible to reproduce on demand. No engine fault codes are showing up. It doesnt seem to be a temp related issue as the car can be cold or hot in any kind of weather condition. It has only done it with me at the wheel twice and it only seems to be when coasting up to the traffic lights or something like that. Never stalling when acclerating. There is no shudder from the engine at all and the 2 times it did it to me the only reason i knew it died was because the steering went heavy. It has been to the mechanic about 5 times and once to an auto elec and even they are pulling their hair out trying to find the fault. Since it started it has had 2 services and new ignition leads.

any ideas greatly appreciated as mum is sh*ting bricks that it will die on her at the wrong time and maybe cause an accident.

thanks
steve

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It could be a number of things,the biggest two I can think of is the CAS.(Crank Angle Sensor) and the IAC(Idle Air Control) Valve.The CAS once its old,can cause random stalling,and not set any codes,the harmonic balancer has to be removed to change the CAS.With the IAC,the passages can get dirty inside the throttle body.Just get some throttle body cleaner and clean the IAC passages in the throttle body.
Also about the CAS,its best to go genuine holden when it comes to CAS's,some of the cheaper ones can cause just as much trouble as the old one.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
yer the iac was going to be my next thing but thought i would get some second opinions before i spent the money. Any idea what i would be looking at for a genuine IAC?

thanks heaps for the reply!!!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id just give the passages in the throttle body a good clean first before replacing anything.Its usually dirty passages that cause stalling etc,not a faulty IAC.If you clean the throttle body and theres still no difference,then Id look at replacing the IAC,but they usually throw up an error code 35 when they stop working completely.

VS dream

Lets go cruising!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executvie SeriesII
could also be your fuel pump, if you drain your tank fully before refilling it sucks all the crap through the pump wrecking it which can cause stalling

johnsy_vs

=Johnsy=
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore series 2
VSS (vehicle Speed Sensor) mine done this after converting from auto to manual as the speedo wasnt hooked up.... might be worth looking into.