Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS rough on start up, then fine

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
cold mornings its showing lean for about 1-2mins, the longest i've seen it on lean before closed loop is 5mins, but that was crawling traffic just off my street, so no hi revs. This morning it took 10secs before it was went closed loop. im amazed at the response times with the o2 heater, instant readouts

vpbt1ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS manual
well new fuel pump has cured my problem and nearly one of the cheapest fixes

vpbt1ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS manual
yeah first time to real cranking anymore just think the old pump was getting weak jhence the splutter on first start as it needs more fuel/air

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
Interesting about the fuel pump - I know a few people that have said they had to replace theirs soon after 170000km, so maybe mine is on the way out - who knows.

However, I was running my car on premium before and after I put a new tune in, so that I could get an idea of what the new tune did. Was driving through Warwick a few weeks ago and had to fill up with regular unleaded and have been filling up with regular since - haven't had any issues, and I have only been driving the car on weekends, and my problem only happened when the car hadn't been driven for a day or two.

No idea whether it is coincidental or not - that's the real problem with these intermittent issues - you can be convinced you have fixed the problem, only two weeks later to find out you haven't.

Cant think why premium would cause a problem though???

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
I have asked a mechanic, and the people I know who's fuel pump failed, if there are any signs that a pump is failing, and all of them said that they just seem to fail. I can only take them on their word.

I think the best you can do is check the fuel pressure as outlined in the Gregory's manual (clamping different hoses and checking the effect on the fuel pressure). I don't have the gear to do it, but I got the mechanic to check mine. He said it was at the low end of manufacturer's specs, but still ok.

2themax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec UTE
Add me to the list.

Hey guys, got on here today looking for an answer to my problem, looks like I am still looking. I have a '95 VS manual ute with all the probs already mentioned here, I have to crank the car over for 5 secs, stop, then repeat to get it to start, idles up really high and will not rev when cold, when it warms up its much better but still not quite right. This one of many Commodores I own, never had this problem before. The list of parts I have already replaced off a car that is running well so I know they are good is;

TPS
DFI module plus all three coils
ECU
throttle body
Coolant temp sensors (both)
fuel pressure reg
plus
new fuel pump, old one had 40 psi and no probs but just to be sure
new crank angle sensor
new fuel filter

I get no error codes from the ECU, so this one has me totally bamboozled. Look forward to hearing an answer, hopefully before I tear my hair out.

Max

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
did you use the ECU from another manual VS? the are differences between the auto and manual ECU's. did you also change the memcal?