Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Sedan - Wet Handling problems.

kylo33710

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1995
ok, i have VS Sedan V6 live axle with 4x RE92 15' that have been on the car for 60, 000kms. in the wet, unless im driving so slow it's ridiculous, and pretending the throttle is an eggshell, i will be sideways around town. so i baught 2 GT radial tyres (mid range sport tyre) and they helped in the dry although they still seem pretty crap for handling, just better then RE92s. anyway going from 4 re92s to 2 gts and 2 RE92s(re92s on rear) my car seems to have got even more slippery in the back. it feels to me when im driving like i have my boot filled with concrete that's how slippery the rear is. in the dry the new combination is alot better but in the wet it's more grippy in the front but 3x less grippy in the back.

Are all commodores with 15' like this? would the RE92s be the problem? (they seem like an extremely unsafe tyre)
or could it be something else like my suspension is worn. i need help as i do not feel safe driving this car in the wet.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
i would say the RE92's are the problem.
how bald are they?

could also be the road conditions and driving to them.
you do say its only in the wet.
less friction by tyre onto road = less grip.

either try the GT's on the back or just get some new tyres to replace the RE92s on the back.

kylo33710

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1995
i had a quick look and they are pretty bad, but i also noticed my car has a positive camber (bottom of tyre towards centre of car) , like it's super minor but it's there. is this normal for VS commodores?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
You obviously know your car's limits, so when in the wet, drive like it does have an eggshell accellerator pedal and you will most likely live a long and happy life.

Get the suspension checked for peace of mind.

Last edited:

kylo33710

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1995
i do try rambunctious, and yes i do know my limits so i am ok. but just the other day at 80km/hr a small bump kicked the back out a few degrees, not fun when there is a cliff next to you.

the reason i was asking is because sometimes i feel like just driving at normal speeds in the wet, but to do so i normally borrow my mums Mazda 3 as the wet doesn't scathe it. will better tyres make my commodore less dangerous in the wet? or is it just something you have to live with as a commodore owner?

p.s i see people driving commodores on stock rims twice as fast as i would in the wet and they dont seem to budge, whereas my car feels like it's built to slide haha.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
i do try rambunctious, and yes i do know my limits so i am ok. but just the other day at 80km/hr a small bump kicked the back out a few degrees, not fun when there is a cliff next to you.

the reason i was asking is because sometimes i feel like just driving at normal speeds in the wet, but to do so i normally borrow my mums Mazda 3 as the wet doesn't scathe it. will better tyres make my commodore less dangerous in the wet? or is it just something you have to live with as a commodore owner?

p.s i see people driving commodores on stock rims twice as fast as i would in the wet and they dont seem to budge, whereas my car feels like it's built to slide haha.

I drive a VZ wagon with wonderful Bob Jane allrounders on stock wheels, and I can slide the rear out anytime I want to in the wet.

You may find like I have that often, stock wheels are better then wide wheels because the widies will slide whereas the stocks dig in, well maybe a little before they too will slide out from under you.

The wife's old 5 litre VL had 16x7's in place of 15x6's and I have to admit to not liking driving it as it always felt twitchy.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
i would say yes. better tyres will help in the wet on the back, due to the ability of more friction, whereas balding tyres will have less friction.
pretty much basic grip principles.
although its still always best to drive to the conditions, so when it is wet youll most likely, if not always have less grip if driving it the same was as in the dry

if your worried about the rear suspension angles, have a look underneath, see if anything is bent/broken/not connected.
if not, maybe go take it to a suspension place or a mechanic who knows suspension real well, and have them check it out.

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
I have a full set of Bridgestone RE92s on my car. Before I had them I ran a set of Goodyear Eagle GA Plus tyres. I only ever run decent mid range tyres on my cars, tyres and brakes are the only thing I never skimp on, ever.

With these tyres, I can just break traction from takeoff if I really plant it from takeoff or around a corner. In the wet it is somewhat easier to do, but even then I have only broken traction unintentionally twice since I had the Bridgestones put on the car.

Based on this I can't say I agree with your assessment of the handling of the car with RE92 tyres. It might be useful if you define "walking on eggshells", does that mean the gentlest of tap on the throttle or anything short of being able to plant the throttle flat to the floor.

Only other thing I could suggest is putting the new tyres on the back and see if that helps things somewhat.

kylo33710

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1995
Alex you are probably right, i have only experienced RE92s that have been worn, although they still seem worse then any other worn tyre i have driven on. I am going to buy some new tyres asap for the rear, but i have a feeling it may be my suspension or geometry as even with bald tyres no car should be as slippery as myne is in the wet. thanks for your input peeps