Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Senator Automatic Levelling

catlewang

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator, VR Acclaim
Hey,

Does anybody know anything about the Automatic Leveling in the VS Senator (and other 'prestige' models, calais, statesman, whatever) and whacking in lowered springs the back?

I'm thinking the Automatic leveling will go stupid and try to raise the car back to its standard height,

or

maybe it wont

does anybody know?

ta! :)

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
i have vs calais and to my knowledge it dosent have SLS! and i dont think that any of the vs series came out with self leveling suspension.

catlewang

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator, VR Acclaim
well, trust me, mine does, and as far as i know my car was based on a VS Calais (i know that coz all they did was whack 2 HSV stickers on the original car manual which was a Calais')

yay!

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
hrmm...i've noticed some cars with IRS, the rear pops down just a lil bit when in placed Drive, but i dont know if thats relevant to what your talking about.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Im fairly sure that VS Senators did not come out with Automatic Levelling Suspension, they did however come out with IRS, but i may be mistaken

Last edited:

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
you can get rid of the AL susp but changing the springs and shocks and the norm camber issues with irs. stato/caprice came with it standard and the rest of them were optional.

Caprice5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VXII Berlina
ive got it on my car and ive got lowered king springs and monroe shocks all round. theres a little bar (metal rod) under the car on the right side of the car near the rear axle. more towards the diff centre i think. its about 2.5 inches long and has ball joints at either end. just disconnect one end from the ball joint connection and your auto levelling is disabled, basically. its that joint that detects the change in height thus telling your auto levelling to adjust height.

the rear shocks are specific to the auto levelling feature, so when they wear out, to keep the auto levelling you have to replace with OEM parts (factory holden). but to put monroes or whatever or shorter ones for super low springs you can install them just the same as one without auto level but the auto level wont work anymore. and unless you disconnected the little bar under your car, youll get warning lights on your dash.

all this was told by a mechanic at the tyre shop when i had a wheel alignment done and while my car was on the hoist i noticed a small dangling bar under the car. he told me what it is, what it does and why its disconnected.

i got no probs at all with it.

catlewang

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator, VR Acclaim
Thanks Caprice5L!

Sounds just like what me and my friend were discussing where to hunt for some kind of sensor, thats the Self Leveling one's on our HSVs (VS SENATOR, WH GRANGE)

I cant believe the conversation turned to it even existing on the cars at all,

pretty much, if you sit in the back seat, and hear a lil air compressor go off from under the boot, you've got Self Leveling

Its a feature id like to keep, but, it seems ive got a choice,
either Self leveling Suspension at a stupidly high height,

or

NO self leveling suspension, and a more respectable ride height :(

choices choices!

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
Pedders makes new air shock for your level ride suspension, you can also lower the ride height with the level ride sensor. looks better lowered handles better up abit. where the arm links to the sensor you can loosen the bolt and swivel the arm to adjust the height.

and no your not crazy some Senators like mine do have level ride so do statesmens.