Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Series 1 does it have Central Locking?

commycrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
^^^ Just did that the other day, easy as, and soo worth it!!

Joshua92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY One Tonner Series II V6
Just something to take note of - I can't speak with 100% certainty as to whether central locking was optional or not, but we know not every VS Series I ute got central locking, and that the button on the key operates the interior light just the same way as its done when unlocking with central locking. If there was central locking available, given there's just one button on the key, it would only be capable of single-stage unlock remembering of course that VS utes continued with a passenger's door lock. Can say with certainty though (I have a sales brochure relevant to it) that the ute caught up with the Commodore in Series II update of 1996, deleting the passenger's door lock and making central locking and electric mirrors standard across the ute range. Base model utes in the main missed out on tachometers, speed alert and ABS.

Taries

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
I had the same problem when i brought my ute interior light turned on when you pressed the button on the key, prity simple to put the central locking in though just gotta get the door looms and the door locks with the actuators all just plugs in, i also put the power mirrors in it whilst i was at it too sett me back $100 for the lot

Is the wiring harness all ready pre fitted with the connector?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
A lot of people dont seem to realise that when you buy a new vehicle, you can add or delete a lot of options like A/C or power mirrors or cruise control etc etc, theres a whole heap of stuff that can be added or deleted.
Ive noticed before that the VS workshop manual even mentions that the series 1 VS utility does not have central locking.
The BCM controls the central locking, The BCM obviously can still pick up the signal from the keyfob when the button is pressed, and this turns the interior light on, but doesnt unlock the doors, theres a heap of different posts on this site that say this, so thats 100% confirmed. And Id reckon that fitting the central locking parts to an earlier VS ute that doesnt have it, should pretty much be be plug and play.