Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs Sluggish, missing, little power?? while under load

wildeagle44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Hey
So Friday I drive the car 10kms down the road, no problems not a sign on trouble.
3hrs Later when I was leaving the car seemed really sluggish, almost as if it was missing. It happened until I arrived at my next destination, where I left the car for another 3hrs. When I went to leave the car was fine, no signs of the problem and ran as per normal. I've done about 120kms since then, no issue.
Today on the way home, I gave it some juice to overtake, but as soon as the revs came down it started to happen again and has proceeded to until I was coming up my street and it went away again.

Its hard for me to describe. I get upto 2000rpm before it starts. I'm not entirely sure what missing feels like, but at best guess this would be it. You can feel the car shake and hear it through the exhaust, and the more I try to accelerate the revs falter a little and then it just kicks to life, changes gear and starts again. This only happens when under load above 2000 rpm.

I've tried diagnosis with a laptop but the problem wasn't occuring by the time I plugged it in. There are no logged codes. Im kinda at a loss here.
After a couple of searches plugs, leads, injectors, filters and coils all seem to come up. I just don't want to go replacing everything hoping it will go away.

Any help would be tops, thankyou

mrv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V8 S speed
I would replace the plugs and test the leads. There should be something on here on how to test them.
Anthony.

Fenix_Longbow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VR Commodore
I would check fuel filter as well... The number of times i have seen a high pressure inline fuel filter put in the wrong way causing fuel starvation.... :p

wildeagle44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Ok, so I tested the leads and got 4-6k ohms on leads 1,3,5 and 2-3k ohms on leads 2,4,6. Is this low? These are genuine holden leads and have been in there for a while.

Checked the fuel filter, looked ok

Managed to get a spare coil, will replace one at a time and do a test drive tomorrow, only problem is that that the missing/sluggishness is only present intermittently.

Also dug through some reciepts, fuel pump was replaced 30 thousand km ago, so it should still be good?

Thanks for help, any more would be appreciated

BLOWN 355 VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais 355 supercharged
Sounds like coil packs my mates vs executive did the exact same thing we pulled them out an used another friends one to test it which is about a 5 to 10minute job an it was fine so then just replaced the coil packs an hasn't missed a beat since..

wildeagle44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Sounds like coil packs my mates vs executive did the exact same thing we pulled them out an used another friends one to test it which is about a 5 to 10minute job an it was fine so then just replaced the coil packs an hasn't missed a beat since..

Alrighty then, about to test coil packs with some spares, will report back my findings, thanks alot

wildeagle44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Just tested the coil packs, the missing is slightly better but definately still there, I tested 2 different coil packs in each position (I have 2 spares).
Am going to try diagnosing with the laptop again, hopefully I'll get somthing usefull. Any other suggestions?

wildeagle44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Just did a laptop run and managed to get it.
I've posted the log (only 15 secs long) and the missing happens badly between 6 and 10 seconds. I've been looking at it but not sure what is exactly wrong. If anyone with some knowledge of this stuff could have a quick look it would be great.

Note: jc wouldnt let me upload it to the site so i threw it here:
http://www.filedropper.com/bigccc

wildeagle44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Sorry should have said, its a log recorded with an aldl cable using tunerpro. I could take a video of it happening if it would help.