Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs Solid diff to vr irs diff

manatuofa

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore
I'm just wanting to know if I can put irs diff into my vs wagon that has solid diff

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You can swap the centres if that's what you're asking, but the housings are not interchangeable.

manatuofa

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore
You can swap the centres if that's what you're asking, but the housings are not interchangeable.
so i can convert the v6 gears to v8 gears instead of trying to find a v8 solid diff. what do i need to change over from the irs diff head to the solid diff head cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Why would you want an IRS diff anyway? I think the early IRS were not much good.

manatuofa

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore
Why would you want an IRS diff anyway? I think the early IRS were not much good.
well i dont have the money for a solid diff and am trying to work with what i have and also its very hard finding a solid v8 diff to suit my vs wagon

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
so i can convert the v6 gears to v8 gears instead of trying to find a v8 solid diff. what do i need to change over from the irs diff head to the solid diff head cheers

Yes. You can just use the diff gears or the entire centre. Everything else with their respective housing. V8 gears are not that different tho, the only difference is that they're shot peened, centre might have had an LSD that's probably turned to dust.

VP to VZ are exactly the same style, almost exactly the same. Commodore IRS was not good in general until VE, not to mention they had basically the same front end design VB to VZ.

VT S1 had the worst camber wear, track also increased with the VT, they only added the toe arms in VX S2 (which weren't that great anyway).

Last edited:

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Opel used the Holden IRS diff for the "Lotus Turbo Omega" because they didn't have anything to handle the 568 Nm maximum torque from the twin turbo motor.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Don't get me started on Opel rubbish, everything with that badge on the grille was a pile of garbage. Ask most Astra owners etc. It's no wonder GM cut Opel lose and thus why the ZB is going to be the shortest life Commodore as after it's run it's course through "Groupe PSA", it will be swapped over to another GM Platformed vehicle. So I wouldn't buy one of those piles of nuts and bolts.