Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs ss back wheel grabbing

fireblade73

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve hsv e3 clubsport
hi iv got a vs ss and on slow speed forward or back it feels like back drivers whool is grabbing or wanting to lock . or can say jumping . once u speed up it goes away . any idea what it might be ? its irs . brakes axle cv joints diff ?? thanks for any info

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Take the wheel off and have a look first.

Check out your rotors and pads, brakes could be jamming on because of a blown seal or dust cover.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Handbrake could be over adjusted on that side.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Check the basics as have been mentioned above. But, i previously had a similar issue with my VT where it would actually lock the wheels at slow speed on decel on rough roads.

Went on like this for less than a day until the diff completely locked up and threw the tailshaft. When i pulled the diff out the pinion had come loose and stripped half the teeth of the crown before being spat out the side of the diff housing.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Check the basics as have been mentioned above. But, i previously had a similar issue with my VT where it would actually lock the wheels at slow speed on decel on rough roads.

Went on like this for less than a day until the diff completely locked up and threw the tailshaft. When i pulled the diff out the pinion had come loose and stripped half the teeth of the crown before being spat out the side of the diff housing.
Wow, that sounds like fun.
I was going to suggest check handbrake adjustment to OP, but now i think fireblade should also get under the car and wiggle everything to be sure - half shafts, hanger bearing etc etc

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

That's really interesting. When the diff came out of our VX it had no backlash, when I put the pinion back in to check pre-load with the original spacer things were all up the ****. Now people tell me there is no way the collapsible spacer can collapse but.... The only other question with our original diff was that it looked like someone may have had it apart before looking at the non-original sealant that was used?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Interesting. Ive had a similar thing happening for a while now. Wheel bearings replaced and handbrake adjusted and it still does it.

Sounds like one wheel’s skipping or almost locking up sometimes when going around corners slowly, especially in reverse. It’s like it binds up then breaks free - but not like a locked diff would. It’s a mechanical sound.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hmmm, that sounds like my Senator. I think we will both be yanking diffs out....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I could be wrong but it sounds like spider gears.