Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs starter issue?

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
Hi my VS v6 has had an issure for quite some time where when i go to start it it turns then stoops.......2 seconds later fires over and starts. sometimes i turn key and nothing happens then back key of and on and it starts (with the whole delayed ick over)

last couple days its done it bad where it takes 3-5 seconds where it pauses. when cars hot it starts a hell of allot easyer. but as soon as it starts to cool down or parked for a while (mornings are bad!!) its bad.

now i know you would say battery but its been checked by 3 different places and still kicking out 500cca.

battery terminals are clean.

couls it be the starter motor? as i have herd there plastic inside? or something else?

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
Check the earth strap from the block to the battery, and the positive lead running to the solenoid.
My positive lead was slightly loose on mine and over time the nut on the end of the solenoid got pitted with all the arcing causing it to stop starting.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Mine was like that. Which turned out to be the connection on the starter was bad and could not be fixed so I got another starter motor.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
thanks guys, i shall heck all that, its also now not doing anything but after 3 turns of the key it starts ti turn over...like the solinoids not working.....maybe its the ignition switch aswell haha either way i haves spares lmao

Cpt Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 S II HBD VY SS , 04 VY S II Executive
It's pretty easy to get starter out yourself too but you have to drop the steering rack first and thats only held in place with two bolts

9C1pack

Reaction score
On a VS V6 Auto, you do not have to drop the rack to remove the starter motor.