Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs starter pissing me off.

Kingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Having a starter problem that is really getting to me, can't for the life of me figure it out.

Now this is a new starter motor.

Go to start the car, it cranks over a little like normal, then a wrenching sound (like the car was about to kick over) and stops... now the starter is stuck. out with a hammer and give it some love taps, try to start, nothing, more love taps, turns over a little then wrenching sound, stuck... repeat until the bastard starts.

this is getting just a tad annoying.

back story... initially I had a starter that was dying for a while and I let it slide, then it degraded to the point where it wasn't disengaging when running and making a hell of a racket. this prompted me to change it.
swapped it for a 2nd hand one, worked fine for a while then started getting stuck. after a while I thought oh well get a new starter... worked well for a while, then started getting stuck...

So I'm tending to lean towards it not being a problem with the starter itself.. but buggered if I know what is actually wrong.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Kingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
did that when I changed the rear main seal, seemed fine to me, although covered in crustied up coolant crud, which I cleaned up.
but it was happening before and after this.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
is there a shim between the starter and the block some have a shim some dont shim will move the teeth slightly further out of mesh

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
try an error code check?
Having a starter problem that is really getting to me, can't for the life of me figure it out.

Now this is a new starter motor.

Go to start the car, it cranks over a little like normal, then a wrenching sound (like the car was about to kick over) and stops... now the starter is stuck. out with a hammer and give it some love taps, try to start, nothing, more love taps, turns over a little then wrenching sound, stuck... repeat until the bastard starts.

this is getting just a tad annoying.

back story... initially I had a starter that was dying for a while and I let it slide, then it degraded to the point where it wasn't disengaging when running and making a hell of a racket. this prompted me to change it.
swapped it for a 2nd hand one, worked fine for a while then started getting stuck. after a while I thought oh well get a new starter... worked well for a while, then started getting stuck...

So I'm tending to lean towards it not being a problem with the starter itself.. but buggered if I know what is actually wrong.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Kingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
nothing relating to starter in error codes. only stupid ones because i'm running gas.

JAAV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR wagon, 5 ltr ski boat, VS ute, VT calais.
V6 or 8 If its a V8 is it the correct starter? The wrong one will cause exccess engagment.

Kingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
its a v6.
i'll have to pull off the flexplate cover and stick my head under there while someone starts the car so i can have a good look at what is going on.
fun times.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the shim will be missing binding up the teeth ide say

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
hope you work it all out in the end....cheeeers
its a v6.
i'll have to pull off the flexplate cover and stick my head under there while someone starts the car so i can have a good look at what is going on.
fun times.