Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Statesman " blown globe " on cluster telling lies??

jzt4kikz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman 5.0 - Vn 8plus
Hey guys, Need some help with my VS STATESMAN taillight broken globe warning issue ??

When i have the headlights or parkers on and apply the brake pedal the warning light on the cluster comes on telling me i have a blown globe or something ?? I got the girlfriend to sit inside the car and apply the brake pedal while inspecting the 4 taillight/brake light globes as she did making sure they all lit up and went out as she was on and off the brake, also the rear window light was doing the same and all working correctly ?? Is there something im missing or has anyone got a solution on how to make this light stop telling me lies ?? Or maybe im lying and the car is right still ?? haha =)

Kind regards, Matt

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
hey mate it could be just a dirty contact, pull all the globes out, and clean the contacts a bit then try it out

jzt4kikz

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey mate it could be just a dirty contact, pull all the globes out, and clean the contacts a bit then try it out

ive replace all 5 globes ( including the middle rear window globe ) and have inspected all the lights again and they seem 2 be ok, 1 looked a bit dirty and i scraped it with my nails but it didnt seem to fix anything?? i checked the brake master cylinder plug and all number plate globes aswell and all seems to be working fine - just the light keeps telling me other wise >.<

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
are you using the correct dual filament globes?

i would get a bit of sand paper and give all the contacts a quick once over, if it has any corrosion on it, i dont think scraping it with your nail will help.

cheerz

jzt4kikz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Will try that tomorrow mate - Yeah i believe so the looms themselves look next to brand new and these globes have been in their since ive owned the car so i havent done anything out of the ordinary in regards to even replacing them - the contacts on the bottom of 1 of the globes ( 1 i was talking about just before ) seems to be getting weaker as such, with the contact sticking to 1 of the loom contacts and breaking off ( thats wat i was scraping ) I've even got some " co-contact cleaner " ill spray that also with the quick once over sanding see how that comes along

jzt4kikz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Small update here guys - I replaced all my globes x4 stop/tail rear parcel shelf brake light, rear number plate lights and front parkers , i also used contact cleaner on the rear loom connections ; checked the brake switch and master cylinder plug and still had the same issue so what I done next was reset the computer my disconnecting the battery for 15minutes (was a bit longer) and cleaned the terminals and both my earth terminals and then the light had cleared itself - it hasn't come on since but was also told to possibly check out the alternator main power wire as they tend to give up on the vn-vs range and start cooking themselves and would give out a low current signal - hope that helps some people that have this issue :)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You should use the following REAR LAMP FAILURE WARNING SYSTEM RE-LEARN PROCEDURE. This procedure must be carried out if the battery has been disconnected. Ensure battery is fully charged and functional before carrying out the following procedure:
1. Ensure all rear lamp bulbs are working. Replace/repair any faulty bulbs/wiring.
2. Turn ignition off, parking lamps off and stop lamps off.
3. Remove and re-fit fuel pump fuse F23 from engine compartment relay housing, to reset BCM.
4. Start engine and allow to idle.
5. Switch parking lamps on.
6. Wait 5 seconds.
7. Press brake pedal and hold.
8. Wait 5 seconds.
9. Switch parking lamps off.
10. Wait 5 seconds.
11. Bulb re-learn is now complete, turn engine off and release brake pedal.

Novacula

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman
I recently helped an old man test the fuses with his car and have since had this warning light. Following your REAR LAMP FAILURE WARNING SYSTEM RE-LEARN PROCEDURE. the problem is now fixed. Thank-you.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
What does the relearn procedure do exactly?
I just don't get why you need to do it and why does the ecu require to relearn it?