Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Statesman Climate Control issue

miker75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman SIII 5.0 V8
I know this has been a constant nightmare for most people on here.. but got a couple of questions I can't seem to find the answer to...

My Statesman has always had (since I've owned it since around 2008) the issue where when you accelerate hard, the air conditioning vents change, and then go back again when you get off the accelerator.

Now I believe, from reading other posts on here, that it's the solenoid control box (?) which is located below the radio. I've found it, (and the two screws that holds it in), but obviously there's a few connected hoses at the rear of it, which seem a bit tight. (two of the 5 or so orange circles on the front of it are virtually dark brown, I'm assuming that's indicating there's an issue).

Is there a recommended way of removing this? Also, not sure if I want to go through the hassle of cleaning it or just purchasing a new one. Does anyone know what the Holden part number is for it?

Last edited:

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
signs of a failing solenoid control box are that the vents fail to change position and a good smack on the side of the console is sometimes enough to jolt them into motion.

if the vents are dropping to the floor when accelerating hard or driving up hill, it's probably a vacuum leak. but in saying that, the control box can sometimes leak too. check the vacuum lines in the engine bay, it's very common for them to come off the back of the engine.

miker75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman SIII 5.0 V8
signs of a failing solenoid control box are that the vents fail to change position and a good smack on the side of the console is sometimes enough to jolt them into motion.

if the vents are dropping to the floor when accelerating hard or driving up hill, it's probably a vacuum leak. but in saying that, the control box can sometimes leak too. check the vacuum lines in the engine bay, it's very common for them to come off the back of the engine.

It does both actually!

It used to suddenly change position of the vents and a good swift kick to the centre console seemed to fix it (well... used to... now it doesn't)...

And yes it also drops to the floor on accelerating uphill...

Should be easy enough to check the hoses in the engine bay, the engine is currently out of the car for a bit of a refresh.. any idea where they enter the engine bay from the firewall?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Holden part#92140248 solenoid vacuum about $100+.

miker75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman SIII 5.0 V8
Holden part#92140248 solenoid vacuum about $100+.

Ah great... just called the local Holden dealer to get a price on the unit. Apparently it's no longer available from Holden... $&*@&^#*(!!

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Last edited: