Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS statesman dash lights keep shorting no 16 fuse

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Hey guy's, hopping you can help

Level 3 dash by the way.

My series 3 stato L67 keeps blowing the dash light fuse. I have tried most things, and searched the forum but I'm stumped.
Please note the parkers all work fine, and no 1 fuse is fine. I have also swapped the parker relay as well and no luck there.

Now the radio had been pulled out by previous owner, and just left open, and I recon the illumination wire was touching an earth, but the fuse was blown so no power was getting there.
Also looks like someone has been chasing it as a couple of globes in the console were removed.

So I have also changed the main light switch, the complete cluster, the console is out and have fixed the radio wireing and installed a head unit, wired correctly. I cannot see any burnt wires or connections, and the fuse blows straight away so there is a dead short. I can see the shifter light (new globe) light up for a split second so there is power getting through till the fuse goes.

So I am missing something? Is there an external control box that fades the dash lights? or is that just in the switch? Would a level 2 headlight switch fit that just has the 2 position fader instead of the variable one? as thats the only one I have left untried.

Could it be the mode selector causing the issues? I dunno, hope someone else has had this and cured it.

Thanks

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
So incase anyone is interested, I have found the problem.

It has turned out to be the rear demister switch. Yep, with it plugged in the illumination fuse blows straight away. Even taking the globe out of the switch made no difference, so there in a short in the switch, or that section of wireing. So no rear demister for me till I get the urge to buy a new switch and try and trace the problem.

I am not going to hold my breath on that one lol.
:)

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Red herring...

There's been lots of poking, pushing, and prodding goin' on in that car, and digging into dark places. Somewhere along the way, a wire has been exposed, or trapped under an assembly being replaced/reinstalled

Good luck finding it.

I have even had a trapped wire suggested as a possible cause for a cracked Flex Plate, go figure...