Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Statesman Series 3 lower lip onto VR Statesman bumper?

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Hey guys,

Got a pair of lower bumper lips from a VS statesman series 3, my car is a VR Caprice with the lower lip curving under the car, has anyone ever fitted a lip to this type?

The stock lower lip on the VR is fixed to the rest of the bumper, not removable, but does have a 2cm edge which would become available if you were to cut the bottom lip of the bumper off.

Anyone know if the bumper is the same, and they just left out the lower part on the VS series and made it an attachment? Or are the bumpers a completely different shape?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Front or rear lips? Front lips will fit vr or vs but you'll need to cut the slots in the bumper for the tabs.

The series 3 rear lip won't fit without the series 3 garnish - which won't fit a vr or vs s1/2 rear bumper without leaving holes that need to be filled. Only way to use a series 3 rear lip is to use the s3 bumper.

The 3 piece lip will fit if that's what you have. Otherwise a vr/vs SS lip will fit with a few mm trimmed from the section just below the number plate garnish.

If you need more help, post pictures of what you're working with.

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
I have both front (single piece) and rear (two piece, split at the tail pipe), and am placing them onto S1 VR statesman bumpers.

So the mounts are slots, it looked like it bolted onto the bottom, not over the top of the stock bumper. The flat 1mm thick and about 20mm long flat section behind the bumpers at the point of the lower lip are what the garnish mounts onto with screws, with the garnish being placed over the original bumper? so no need to cut the lower lip section off below it?

Do you happen to have any photos of S3 bumpers with the lower lips removed? or a photo of the inside of front or rear S3 bumpers? keen to know if they mount over or below the flat section behind the bumper.

How did HSV do the lower lip with the series 1 rear bumper garnish? Seen a few Granges with the lower lip and used the series 1 plate cover / garnish, was hoping to replicate this as I'm not a big fan of the S3 plate garnish area.

So I need the S3 number plate garnish? If so I'll go buy it, the guy had it but I left it there thinking I wouldn't need it.

I'll get some photos next week before I start on it, car is getting fixed at the moment and the parts are still in the back seat.

Example of the rear lip is here: http://s63.photobucket.com/user/bodge2000/media/caprice83.jpg.html

Example of the current rear bumper is here: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...d1350363391-james-vr-statesman-statesman2.jpg

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You need the SS rear lip to replicate a grange with the s1/2 number plate garnish. You just drill holes where the dimples are on the back of the bumper for the screws.

I'll try to remember to look at your post properly when I'm on a computer next.

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Thanks, not a big fan of the look of SS lower lips on the statesmans so will stick with the series 3 lower lips.

From your advice I found a good photo that shows how they are attached, so that saves me a lot of trouble

Qc2yIAk.jpg

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
This is an ss/grange rear lip (the same one I have on my statesman):
4562829.jpg

The fronts are different between ss and grange/statesman series 3 as I think you've already found.

I'm not sure that it's possible to use the s3 rear lip with the earlier number plate surround as they're shaped very differently at the bottom

vr84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice 5.0L
Thanks for the info and image to go by

Yeah I'm really not keen on the SS lip at the front, it doesn't really appeal to me, looks a bit out of place in my opinion so will stick with the S3.

The grange lower lip looks much nicer than S3, but the SS lower lips that I've seen on a statesman had a large gap at the two splits on each side, hence why I was originally avoiding using an SS rear lip, take a look at the below pic as this is the gap I'm talking about:

cp4612068919974886007_zps800cb5c4.jpg

Is this how the SS rear lip usually looks when fitted to a statesman? or is there a trick to make them fit properly. If this is normal I'll probably stick to series 3

For the earlier number plate surround, it looks like this guy has managed to make it work with the S3 lower lip:

caprice83.jpg