Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Statesman Supercharged. Has a 3.8l VY motor. What tranny and diff do i need????

Skyler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6, VS Statesman Supercharged, HZ 1 Tonner
I have a VS Statesman originally had the supercharged v6 but now has the VY 3.8L ive ran into a few problems with the exhaust, transmission, diff and tail shaft

1. the exhaust will not fit between the current transmission and the steering column
2. i have assumed i have the wrong transmission due to not being able to fit the exhaust
3. i have the original diff (EJ) witch has 6 bolts to join the tail shaft but can not find a tail shaft with 6 bolt holes on the diff side

if someone could point me in the right direction of what tranny diff and tail shaft i need to make this work with codes Ect. Would be great Thanks

H

harrop.senator

Standard auto statesman tail shaft from vr will work. I havent seen a 6 bolt tailshaft usually a 4 in vr vs may be statesman specific I know statesman, wagon and ute run longer shafts due to the chassis being longer.

Either need to bash and dimple the exhaust to clear the late model large bell housing or run a vs supercharged box or possibly even your original box with the l67 stally and flex plate.

Skyler

Reaction score
Members Ride
from what i understand the statesmen v6 supercharged has a specific diff witch is 6 bolt

its the flange of the exhaust that dosnt fit through

i have a 9HFD spare and in it is the 4hfd

Last edited:
H

harrop.senator

Id say 4hdd dont think they made super charged v6s still in 2006.

Unsure about the exhaust then I've got a vt big case 4l60e behind my 355 at the moment and it was the pipe that curves around the steering rack that didnt clear it and i just had to bash it a heap.

Weird about the supercharged statesman having a specific diff i know the 5 litre ones were still 4 bolt and normal v6 were 4 bolt dont know wnough about statesmans to offer an answer. Only know as a mate out a 3.9 lsd in his s2 vs statesman and was same as any other vs diff I've installed.

Just re use your supercharged tail shaft if youve still got it it'll slip in fine to the newer box. Sorry i misread it thinking you went from stock v6 to super 6.

Also you can use your super 6 transmission and you original wiring harness just change the memcal in the pcm.

Skyler

Reaction score
Members Ride
sorry the 4hfd is in it

dont have any tail shafts that will bolt up ones out of vr vs sedans didnt fit to short and 4 bolt

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
The flanges all have 6 holes on the diff and only 4 on the tail shaft on the ones ive seen.

Just cut the bellhousing out to fit the exhaust, the last of the VS utes had a VT full circle trans cut out to suit.

Depending on what model computer/tune you use may effect the trans also, i remember reading that the VT onwards added a PWM solenoid on the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. How true that is im not sure.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Vs-Vy transmissions are all electronically compatible. The ONLY problem you'll have is when you try to run a VR trans and torque converter in a later model (or vise versa).

Personally I'd use a th700 since it doesn't need the ecu to control it (assuming you're still talking about putting this in an ej). The VS trans will work perfectly but as you already know you'll have to make some clearance by grinding the bell housing and mounting the exhaust at the rear of the trans is more of a pain if you use the later vt-vy box.

The early tailshafts are all 4 bolt.

Skyler

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs-Vy transmissions are all electronically compatible. The ONLY problem you'll have is when you try to run a VR trans and torque converter in a later model (or vise versa).

Personally I'd use a th700 since it doesn't need the ecu to control it (assuming you're still talking about putting this in an ej). The VS trans will work perfectly but as you already know you'll have to make some clearance by grinding the bell housing and mounting the exhaust at the rear of the trans is more of a pain if you use the later vt-vy box.

The early tailshafts are all 4 bolt.

(EJ) is the diff code not ej Holden i wish