Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Statesman

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Hrmm ok, so what you guys think of the Statesman? Currently I just got one tested at a RACV place, it's a 98Nov-VSIII, 178k but it's been serviced every 10k~, might offer him 8ish due to high k's, anyways, what are they like on fuel? mainly city? parts and servicing expensive on these?

Sphinx

O.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais II LS1
I've got a 95 VS 5 litre Stato with 162 thou on it and she can be a bit thirsty. Highway driving is about 9.8 litres per hundred and around town, well, its anywhere between 12.5 and 16 litres depending on how you drive it..

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Mine's a 1996 VSII 5.0 and 168,000 on it. Doing heaps of small trips with stop-start traffic in the city a few years ago I remember being at 22 Litres/100km and that was going easy on the right foot. If you're a leadfoot driver be prepared for bad fuel economy. Now with a lot more highway driving and some city driving it's at 13.2 L/100km (averaging 52 km/hr) but still with a granny foot.

Parts are relatively cheap because the standard V8 was mechanically identical from 1988 to 1998 so with that economy of scale you see good pricing. The other bonus is that unlike the V6 there's no CAS to worry about failing on you!! As for servicing, it depends on where you go for it but expect similar pricing to a V6.

The only area that may get expensive is with the CD stacker, check yours works properly before you buy the car (think upwards of $700 for a new one). Check the climate control operation as well especially under full vacuum loading because vacuum leaks can be a pain to find.

sully

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL executive
haloeight said:
all statos were auto out of the factory

the stato has a longer wheelbase than the sedan, so be prepared for messing around with tailshafts

I'm pretty sure that the ute has the same wheelbase, although don't quote me so you should be able to get the gear out of one of them as lots of the utes were manual...

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
the ute is the same wheelbase, but different axle

the vs stato has IRS, ute is live axle

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
also do yourself a favour and check out the supercharged statos

almost the same power, and a lot better acceleration than the v8, and a lot less thirsty

i average 7-9l/100k in the city

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
haloeight said:
the ute is the same wheelbase, but different axle

the vs stato has IRS, ute is live axle

the statos where based on a wagon wheel base,so if you got a manual berlina wagon with irs you'd be sweet to transplant.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
thanks guys for the input.

The Eurovox stacker looks similar to my old Blaupunkt stacker, tho the connection looks the same as my new stacker I got, well the DIN plug looks similar.

I received my racv report back today, there is a couple of things I need to check out, the main problems are;

Oil Leak (Engine & Transmission)
Pump & Hose leak (P/steering)
Windscreen needs sand blasting
Rear tyres are low and spare needs replacing (I would like to get VZ Calais wheels)
LHS headlight has crack and LHS foglamp lens is cracked (has hole)
Exhaust needs attention, which I was going to replace with a sports exhaust.

There is other minor problems as well, maybe offer 8k, tho I didn't really want to spend money on a car I just bought for a while. I mean it has 178k so there is wear and tear and I thought for a highway car it should be fine.

semmi

Reaction score
i have vz calais wheels on my car, i noticed you're in melb... so if you're looking for a set you can get them from wheelking in moorabbin, i think i paid about $1480 which included new low profile tyres, fitting and balancing.

they have a website too: www.wheelking.com.au

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Thanks for the site, I might just buy the rims from there, place in Reservoir sell cheap 2nd hand tyres with 90-95%~ tread. Do you have a pic of your car? would like to see what the vr looks like with these wheels.