Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs stato need help!!

trucko

Reaction score
Members Ride
78 fj40 landcruiser with efi 5l, vy ss ute
Hi guys i own a 95 vs statesman 5l. Its been giving me hell lately. Randomly cuts out and also very hard to start sometimes. Just winds over but won't fire. Some days its great some days it just sux. Ive changed numerous things such as. Ecu .ignition module.throttle body and sensors. Temp sensor. Fuel filter. Coil. Cap and rotor button. Plugs and leads too..
Im leaning towards the HES in the dissy as I've changed just about all the simple stuff.. Any help would be appreciated...
This topic probably has been covered a few times already.
Its a great old car and goes well too got a full pacemaker system and also noticed a chiptorque memcal when i swapped the ecu... Its got 170 000 on the clock also.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Looks like your on the right track with the hall sensor.

Could also be fuel pump or injectors too

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Sounds like a Hall Effect Sensor to me...

When doing the HES, you can remove the dizzy without removing the manifold... The dizzy can be removed by just lifting it out. I could only get little movement at a time but finally got it out.

trucko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can you put the new dizzy back in the same spot as the old one so you don't have to set the timing??

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Untill it gets worse i'm with the above, either HES or fuel pump.

HES is usually bad right from cold start but fuel pump usually raises it's ugly head after a run.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Can you put the new dizzy back in the same spot as the old one so you don't have to set the timing??

You will have to set the timing.
You need to refit the dizzy in the exact same tooth in the gears. I marked the dizzy by leaving the rotor button on.

Remember to bridge 5+6 pin in the diagnostic plug located under steering wheel with a paper clip. connect timing light, start car.
If vehicle won't start then try turning the dizzy clockwise or anti-clockwise (remember to keep dizzy holding bolt loose to turn it) pressing the accelerator pedal may help to get it to start.
Then check timing through harmonic balancer to the timing marks.
You will want 10 degrees BTDC which by the manifold is 5 increments on the left side of the A.
Once you have the timing right... tighten the bolt. remove paper clip and let it run to settle the Idle.

Remember to line up timing marks before you remove the dizzy.

trucko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the reply's might change fuel pump and dizzy just for peace of mind

trucko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just an update. Changed the dizzy and the car hasn't played up since. So im guessing the hall effect sensor was the culprit. What did happen though is after i changed it i lost oil pressure and ended up shitting the lifters from running them dry to get it home. Put a set of crane lifters in and done an oil change . All sweet now. Hot tip, don't keep driving when oil light is on..lol id rather spend my days not pulling motors down...;).changing the dizzy isn't as scary as i thought. Taking the bonnet off makes it easier.