Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] VS strut removal

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Two comments:

The two nuts and bolts that hold the strut to the upright are torque to yield i.e. they are permanently stretched when tensioned correctly. As such they are meant to be replaced (and the new bolts/nuts tightened to the correct spec.) if they are removed. I don't know what the spec. is off the top of my head.

In order to maintain the camber adjustment, push the upright so as to put the adjusting bolt - the small (10mm head?) bolt in the upright that points towards the centre of the car - hard up against the strut before tightening the two bolts/nuts.

Very good point there ;)

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Great writeup mate. Will probably be giving this a go soon :)
But because im a mechanical retard, which one is the sway bar link? Anyone hve a pic?
Cheers :)

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Maxxiz, the sway bar link is shown in the third photo down. In the picture to the right of the photo it's the one with the red bushes (One of each side). Your link bushes might be black, red, blue or yellow. Depends on the brand. The links connect to the sway bar. Both links need to be taken off at the same time.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Also undo the big 24mm nut instead of all the 13mm nuts on the strut tower its much simpler, beyond that great right up mate.

Dan420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Wagon V6 3.8ltr
Hey just had a go at putting new springs in the front using your instructions, Great work mate helped me out heaps. Thanks

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
gonna give this a go soon next week when my new ones come. ive order monroe gt lowerd stuts with sl king springs, does this make it any easier? seem as ive got brand new struts and springs?

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
probably be the same as you would need to remove the strut tops off the old shocks unless your getting those replaced also