Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS T5 Gearbox Ratios Question....

downton55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS ute..
I am using my vs v8 ute to tow my race car around and the gearbox ratio for 1st gear is having trouble on take of, mainly on slight incline or hill starts. I was wondering if it was possible to use a v6 gearbox on a 5.olt v8?? The reason for this is it give a better 1st gear ratio for take off. I don't want to loose my t5 and replace it with an auto, because the old t5 is fun....:yeah:

can anyone shed any light on this problem?????
Or is there any different gearbox ratio kits out there that can be bought????

any help would be fantastic.....

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
A V6 T5 box can be used on a V8 but you will have to get the input shaft shortened to suit which should set you back around $200-250. Match this up with your existing V8 bellhousing, flywheel and clutch fork and it should go straight in. I'm unsure of the V6 and V8 T5 gear ratios off the top of my head so you would want to double check that there is actually a gain by doing this.
Alternatively what many people would do is to change your diff gears to a lower ratio from the standard 3.08:1. Something like 3.45:1 or 3.70:1 should be suitable, it just depends on how much lower you want to go. The downside of changing diff gears it that it will alter you speedo reading and the motor will be reving harder to do the same speed as before. This can be re-calibrated a few different ways to suit if you decide to go this way.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
give her some 3.7's mate, and she should find it a lot easier to pick up speed.

at the moment, with 3.08, its like pedaling up a hill on your pushy on the smallest cog!

Goose!!!

Goose!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 97 acclaim,manual,lsd, Cosmic purple pearl.
give her some 3.7's mate, and she should find it a lot easier to pick up speed.

at the moment, with 3.08, its like pedaling up a hill on your pushy on the smallest cog!

I agree with this, change your diff gears :yeah:

But for the record, the borg warner T5 V6 gearbox ratios are as follows.

First........ 3.25:1
second..... 1.99:1
third........ 1.29:1
fourth...... 1.00:1
fifth......... 0.72:1

Reverse.... 3.15:1

These specs were taken from the Gregorys manual for holden commodore 95-97.

cant help with the V8 ratios tho....

crewsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sierra
I agree with this, change your diff gears :yeah:

But for the record, the borg warner T5 V6 gearbox ratios are as follows.

First........ 3.25:1
second..... 1.99:1
third........ 1.29:1
fourth...... 1.00:1
fifth......... 0.72:1

Reverse.... 3.15:1

These specs were taken from the Gregorys manual for holden commodore 95-97.

cant help with the V8 ratios tho....

V8 T5 first gear ratio is 2.95:1 so not as short...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
another possibility would be to swap the input shaft from the V8 T5 into the V6 T5 box used with the V8 T5 bellhousing, assuming that and i'm not 100% certain of is that the internal gear on the V8 and V6 input shafts are the same. if they are then it's a straight forward swap. would be good if we did finally get a answer on that one. failing a trans swap, the diff gears would be a good option.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
another possibility would be to swap the input shaft from the V8 T5 into the V6 T5 box used with the V8 T5 bellhousing, assuming that and i'm not 100% certain of is that the internal gear on the V8 and V6 input shafts are the same. if they are then it's a straight forward swap. would be good if we did finally get a answer on that one. failing a trans swap, the diff gears would be a good option.

Yes a v6 input shaft is interchangable with a v8 box and vice versa. The shaft length is the only difference.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes a v6 input shaft is interchangable with a v8 box and vice versa. The shaft length is the only difference.

cool, that confirms what i've always thought/suspected. makes the conversion easy

FusionX

Reaction score

Thats the only physical difference. There are a few internally differences with bearings and what not.

And someone asked earlier:
T5 Ratios:

V6 V8
First: 3.25 2.95
Second: 1.99 1.94
Third: 1.29 1.34
Fourth: 1.00 1.00
Fifth: 0.72 0.73