Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS T5 Gearbox whine. Need help

Skittle_vodka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
My gearbox is a t5 and has a horrible whine. Can anyone tell me what it is if they know. It only makes the noise with the clutch is out.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Read something like this is the input shaft bearing. Not sure if it's true. Changed the oil recently?

Skittle_vodka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
I've changed the oil and that did nothing. I have a video of the noise. I just won't let me upload it ATM

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
I had this in my old t5 the bearing where shot and the box needed a rebuild !!! I kept driving myn for a good 5 thousand km after I first heard the noise and at the end it could also hear 1st and 2nd gears grinding a bit to

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Could be the clutch release bearing. Does it go away if you put a little pressure on the clutch without depressing the clutch pedal (load up the clutch release bearing without letting the clutch slip).

Otherwise it's a gearbox bearing. If it does it in every gear than it could be any of the bearings on the main or lay-shaft.

When you changed the oil, did any metal come out with it? What oil does it have in it? it should have dexIII ATF with the lubrizol additive and not a regular gearbox oil as it's to thick and that too can cause some noise as well as poor shifting.

Skittle_vodka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
That's the oil that's in it and it was changed pretty recently. I think it's the input bearing. Thinking of just getting a new box