Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ticking / Knocking noise...???

Ryan_29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hey

I have a VS and it has this real big knocking / ticking noise, i put engine flush throw it and now its making the noise, i have replaced the harmonic balancer, im thinking it could be, i put lifter free in it and no difference at all, i have taking the serpentine belt off as well to make sure its not a tensioner or water pump,

- Chain Tensioner
- Lifters
- Flex Plate in the box ( could have crack in it) How common are they on VS's

just bought this car so i don't know what the life its had, this noise is just when im in park, and idling???????

Please help

lowhg71

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II Vs Calais
My vs Calais v6 does this too, not so much in park, but when in drive and not moving its at its loudest. More of a knocking then ticking.... Any ideas?:boxing:

goaty

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive ecotec
Hows it,
I just had a replacement engine fitted due to this noise.My engine seized.Could be that some time ago your engine might have had an inlet manifold gasket replaced once,and the engine not flushed out properly afterwards.This is what happened to mine,had the same noise,then seized.Found it to be the leg of the oil pump seized to the cam.Could be the same deal starting here.Also,I use 20-50 engine oil like the manual says.These engines are just your basic old style v6,but with fancy computer hook up.I found changing the oil has made my engine a whole lot quieter.Bonus is the 20-50 oil is cheap as.

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
Sounds like your uni joint may have issues

aussie bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Exec S2
Just noticed a ticking noise when I started my car tonight. The ticking noise got quicker when I put my foot on the accelerator while in park. What's that from??
Sorry to hijack the thread but better than starting a new one

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Hey

I have a VS and it has this real big knocking / ticking noise, i put engine flush throw it and now its making the noise, i have replaced the harmonic balancer, im thinking it could be, i put lifter free in it and no difference at all, i have taking the serpentine belt off as well to make sure its not a tensioner or water pump,

- Chain Tensioner
- Lifters

just bought this car so i don't know what the life its had, this noise is just when im in park, and idling???????

Please help

Could be noisy injectors, I know I've had 2 VR's with this problem and it is just noisy injectors. In saying that a Video would be very helpful for stuff like this. Could be lifters or rockers. Even take your starter motor out and check the tightness of your Torque converter bolts.

My vs Calais v6 does this too, not so much in park, but when in drive and not moving its at its loudest. More of a knocking then ticking.... Any ideas?:boxing:
I would be doing the same as above, but checking your torque converter bolts first.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Just noticed a ticking noise when I started my car tonight. The ticking noise got quicker when I put my foot on the accelerator while in park. What's that from??
Sorry to hijack the thread but better than starting a new one

I would be looking at your Rockers or lifters, possibly even the timing chain rails.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Hey

So it wasnt making the noise prior to putting the flush through??

What came out of the car when you put the flush through? What is the oil like now?

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
do a you tube video (with sound) and post it online and we can go and have a listen for you.......
Hey

- Chain Tensioner
- Lifters

Please help