Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ute Fuel Pump

ianf

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS 'S' Utility
I have been having a bit of trouble getting my ute to start, it just cranks over and over and after reading a few threads on here I thought I would change the fuel pump but have been told to do this I will have to remove my canopy and then the plastic liner so as to get at the pump itself, Does this sound right?, and also is it a hard job?.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
from memory to get the pump out you have to yeah move everything.
get that panel off from in the tub.
and remove the tank itself.
so it may be handy to get the fuel fairly low before you change it.

just out of curiosity, do you hear a constant high pitched noise from the pump?

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
is it good or bad to hear high pitched noise from the fuel pump?

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
check for removable panels behind the drivers seat in the rear cabin , have you tested the fuel pressure yet ? exclude all the easy options first before accesses the tank area .

ianf

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS 'S' Utility
Cheer's I will check out the extra things you guys have mentioned, it's strange because it wont turn over no matter what I do but if left alone, overnight type thing it does fire up but if I then turn it back off it's back to nothing?...

Arrowroot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL group A Brock
Im having same troubles, the fuel pump works sometimes, then nothing, mate Im pretty sure its my fuel pump but just trying to get it out of the tank is a pain, I spent an hour today trying every direction I could to get it out but theres a black hose connected and cant get the thing to budge.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Cheer's I will check out the extra things you guys have mentioned, it's strange because it wont turn over no matter what I do but if left alone, overnight type thing it does fire up but if I then turn it back off it's back to nothing?...

So.... when you do get it to start in the morning it keeps running without any problems?
Is that right?

Its when you switch it off again and then try to restart.... that's when it won't fire up?

Andreas

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS III V6 ute
In the Max Ellery repair manual it states the fuel filter is. On vehicles with IRS on the body forward of the fuel tank. On vehicles with normal axles its bolted to the floor pan in front of the rear axle. And on utes its at the rear of the fuel tank. Hope this is some help the manual doe not state to dismantle the back of the ute.