Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ute no power to reverse lights

CommoBloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon VDJ79 series cab chassis
Okay so I've done some research and cannot for the life of me figure out why.

I have just done a T5 manual conversion and I know I have to extend the Lime green and pink wires to reach the gearbox and bridge and earth the grey and grey/blue wires to start.
I Bridged the pink and green wires before I extended them to see if the reverse lights worked and to my surprise they did, anyway so I extended them and connected them to The box and now they won't work, it's not the switch because it worked perfectly fine on the other ute it was in, so i took the extend wires off and bridged the pink and green wires again and now the lights don't work at all. I'm tempted to get the light tester from the wire on fuse #12 in the fuse box under the dash and work my way towards the pink and green wires. Process of elimination.
I checked
Fuse #12 under dash (powered)
Globes (Fine)

Just to clarify I'm using
Ecotec Engine
T5 Gearbox
I think it's a modified engine harness
manual ECU

Please any help would be great. Cheers!

(Edit) I found out it's between the nuetral safety wires and the dash fuse. Instead of following it all the way through the dash would I just be able to use another 12v source and put it to the switch?

Last edited:

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I don't know if this is relevant but on the VP I discovered that the reverse lights work on the same fuse as the speedo fuse. If that fuse blows the speedo works on a backup source but drops to zero and goes back up repeatedly at open road speed. I presume as an alert to the well informed driver.
If the VR is the same then maybe you have lost the power to the reverse lights in doing the manual conversion

CommoBloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Rob, thanks for the reply, my Utes reverse lights do run off the same fuse and I've replaced it with multiple other fuses of the same amperage that I know work and I still do not have power to reverse lights.

I was just going to use another 12v power source and run an inline fuse as well straight to the reverse sensor. This should do the job for now yeah?
Or run it off the radios 12v source and then I know if I have no radio I have no reverse lights lol

Cheers, Zac.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I'm thinking that some sort of switching to power up the reverse lights has been lost in the change to the manual. Where does the switching happen? In the ECU? At the gear-stick? Could be part of the safety cut-out on the gearlever? All questions, no answers. Sorry. Even with another power source you still need a mechanism to activate the lights when you engage reverse.

CommoBloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry for the late reply been busy renovating the kitchen haha, there hasn't been any switching in the wires, it's just the wire with 12v to the reverse switch on the gearbox has lost its power, sorry for the lack of info on my other reply, what I meant was, if I can run another source of power to the reverse switch/sensor on the g/box would that be sufficient enough to power the reverse lights?
Thanks for the help mate.
Zac.