Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v6 chasing a miss on idle

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
If you’re worried about the regulator, pull the vacuum hose, blow it out and check for fuel presenting to the hose (which would be caused by a failed diaphragm), and clean the hose connection on the plenum by poking some coat hanger wire into it and squirting with carby cleaner. Like Losh1971 says though, the absence of fuel odour suggests it’s probably OK. Leakage or blockage of the vacuum line can play up during start and idle. Had this once but swallowed whatever was blocking the hose so can’t tell you what it was. Seven years of perfect operation since though.

I will try these blockage pointers and post back.

Cheers

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
Car idling missing
It actually looks and sounds pretty normal as far as ‘missing’ goes. A miss tends to make the engine rock a little bit from side-to-side as a result of the torque dropping out with each miss and yours looks as steady as V6’s get. I had to play it a few times over but is what you’re hearing actually a soft knocking noise?

Have a quick look at the engine mounts. When they collapse you lose the liquid inside that cushions the engine from the subframe. It also causes the knock sensors to kick in at unwanted times. The knocking between the engine and subframe trick the sensors into thinking an ignition knock has occurred and they’ll retard the spark.

Last edited:

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
It actually looks and sounds pretty normal as far as ‘missing’ goes. A miss tends to make the engine rock a little bit from side-to-side as a result of the torque dropping out with each miss and yours looks as steady as V6’s get. I had to play it a few times over but is what you’re hearing actually a soft knocking noise?

Have a quick look at the engine mounts. When they collapse you lose the liquid inside that cushions the engine from the subframe. It also causes the knock sensors to kick in at unwanted times. The knocking between the engine and subframe trick the sensors into thinking an ignition knock has occurred and they’ll retard the spark.

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll have a check hopefully over the weekend and post back.

Cheers
Pete

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
I'll have a check hopefully over the weekend and post back.

Cheers
Pete
yo 2 b brutally honest with you, there is no misfire,
engine is running quite good, it only has a slight vibration most call a shake, knock, quite fine for the engine as there are many moving parts to cause this as grimes mentioned a few, its just wear and tear of age of car, so really nothing to worry about, there is no missssssss. If it gets worse and felt insidethe car then replace worn parts or turn down hearing aid if you use one.
I would be more worried about the changing white blue smoke clouds with the light, :eek: if its not condensation from idling long with the cold weather.

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
yo 2 b brutally honest with you, there is no misfire,
engine is running quite good, it only has a slight vibration most call a shake, knock, quite fine for the engine as there are many moving parts to cause this as grimes mentioned a few, its just wear and tear of age of car, so really nothing to worry about, there is no missssssss. If it gets worse and felt insidethe car then replace worn parts or turn down hearing aid if you use one.
I would be more worried about the changing white blue smoke clouds with the light, :eek: if its not condensation from idling long with the cold weather.
Cheers Achoo.
I think the clouds are due to the late damp weather. Bit it does blow vapour in the day I'm sure.
Any fix for this?

Pete

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your compression looks good so don’t worry about the exhaust. It’s probably just normal condensation.

If you do find the engine mounts are collapsed that’s still no big deal unless the sump is in hard contact with the sub-frame. I put up with mine for years until I had a few excuses lined up to go to the effort of lifting the engine up such as replacing the sump gasket.

Last edited:

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your compression looks good so don’t worry about the exhaust. It’s probably just normal condensation.

If you do find the engine mounts are collapsed that’s still no big deal unless the sump is in hard contact with the sub-frame. I put up with mine for years until I had a few excuses lined up to go to the effort of lifting the engine up such as replacing the sump gasket.
I will need to do the sump gasket, and a transmission oil and filter change.
I have a new pair of mounts sitting there.

They will be for either the vr or this vs

Last edited:

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
exactly the same as my daughters VS same miss at idle.
Ive already replaced the idle sensor thing , can't remember what it's called, it helped heaps. I just bought new plugs and leads.
Plus now after reading this thread, I've got a bunch of other stuff to check! Thanks guys.