Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Commodore advice on where to start.

Accadaccasteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Commodore executive
Ok so I'll be looking at doing this on a family budget lol.... Over a period of time and in between xmas' and birthdays.

What I would like advice on is if there is a beneficial order in getting these done or if it doesn't really matter?

2.5" cat back exhaust.
Extractors.
Mace CAI.
25mm manifold insulator.
12mm plenum spacer.
Stage 2 shift kit.
Mace high ratio roller rockers 1.9:1
Bored out 69mm throttle body.
Holden performance memcal?? Not sure if I'll even need this....

All I can think of at the moment, leaving looks til last. Any suggestions or other ideas would be greatly appreciated, cheers Steve.

Last edited:

luke23

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl
*in before buy a v8 comments* what gains are you hoping to achieve? obviously power but all them mods cost a lot of money (if buying all new parts) and you wont really notice a massive power increase, exhaust and extractors will make it sound abit better but them with any CAI will basically not give you any power increase, and as far as the other mods I haven't had them personally but Ive heard theyre basically unnoticable, Ive heard some good things about high ratio roller rockers but, thats about it.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
They all sound good.
What are you going to do for clearance when adding 50mm to the engine?
You may have trouble there.
When looking at a memcal, talk to The1.
Probably buy parts bit by bit and fit them at one moment as most need a tweak to the tune to get the most out of it.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
That sounds like an enormous waste of money.

Accadaccasteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for the comments,

Luke 23, I'm after a nice growl with a bit of grunt when I do kick it in the guts, not looking for massive increases in power.

Thanks Wombat, that's meant to say 12mm plenum spacer, my bad, and cheers for the advice will keep that in mind when looking at a memcal.

Sabbath, could you elaborate on why you think this is an enormous waste of money?

Cheers Steve.

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
They all sound good.
Probably buy parts bit by bit and fit them at one moment as most need a tweak to the tune to get the most out of it.

Definetly will have trouble, you can only fit a 12mm and a 25mm, both having a 25mm it will not fit,
The only way of achieving the 50mm will be to get a custom bonnet (scoop?)
I plan on going the 25mm manifold insulator, and a 12mm for the plennum, (I currently have both 25mm but gave my plennum 25 to a mate, just waiting on money for the 12mm)

Do you plan on getting cams aswell? if not check out the ultra high rockers ULTRA HIGH RATIO ROLLER ROCKERS FOR ECOTEC AND L67 V6 - Mace Engineering Group

As to the memcal, check out chiptorque.

Accadaccasteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
adam10_1990:2518866 said:
They all sound good.

Definetly will have trouble, you can only fit a 12mm and a 25mm, both having a 25mm it will not fit,
The only way of achieving the 50mm will be to get a custom bonnet (scoop?)
I plan on going the 25mm manifold insulator, and a 12mm for the plennum, (I currently have both 25mm but gave my plennum 25 to a mate, just waiting on money for the 12mm)

Do you plan on getting cams aswell? if not check out the ultra high rockers ULTRA HIGH RATIO ROLLER ROCKERS FOR ECOTEC AND L67 V6 - Mace Engineering Group

As to the memcal, check out chiptorque.

Yeah typo, as I stated to Wombat in my second post that was meant to say 12mm for the plenum not 25mm. Not going down the cam path, just the high ratio rockers 1.9:1

Will check out the ultra highs though as that would leave the cam path open if I change my mind down the track. Cheers for the link.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Sabbath, could you elaborate on why you think this is an enormous waste of money?

Cheers Steve.

Spending that kind of money on products that will really only give you a "seat of the pants" performance increase seems illogical. There is no pure graph to tell you what kind of performance increase you can expect from a spacer alone, the tests are all done with an exhaust fitted aswell so it makes it hard to tell exactly what real benefit you're getting from them.

I've given up trying to get decent information out of MACE and it's not my money in the end of the day, so i dont really care because im sick of banging my head up against a wall over it so im not going to be drawn into a lengthy conversation about it.

With the cheapness of LS1 powered cars these days, a better option for cheap power would be to buy a V8 and put on some headers and a quick tune. Total spent will be around $2500 depending on what you do, and you'll be driving around with 230rwkw combined to a similar spend and pretty much 100kw less at the rears.

Your money, at the end of the day.

Accadaccasteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sabbath':2519105 said:

Cheers Steve.

Spending that kind of money on products that will really only give you a "seat of the pants" performance increase seems illogical. There is no pure graph to tell you what kind of performance increase you can expect from a spacer alone, the tests are all done with an exhaust fitted aswell so it makes it hard to tell exactly what real benefit you're getting from them.

I've given up trying to get decent information out of MACE and it's not my money in the end of the day, so i dont really care because im sick of banging my head up against a wall over it so im not going to be drawn into a lengthy conversation about it.

With the cheapness of LS1 powered cars these days, a better option for cheap power would be to buy a V8 and put on some headers and a quick tune. Total spent will be around $2500 depending on what you do, and you'll be driving around with 230rwkw combined to a similar spend and pretty much 100kw less at the rears.

Your money, at the end of the day.

Not after a lengthy conversation mate, just your point of view which you have put across nicely. But at the end of the day I'm the bloke that nods his head says yes yep ok and then I do whatever the hell I want anyway haha. But seriously I'll do some more looking into it. Maybe I'll leave this one stock for the missus and buy a third car with an 8 and work that..... Maybe....

Cheers again Sabbath, nice username by the way :)