Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v6 coolant dripping from trans...

Kingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
OK having sorted out my leaking radiator cap issue I've finally looked into a leak that has been bothering me for a while.
Had a look under the car and noticed fluid leaking from the front of my trans. I thought it was oil, but I cleaned it up and ran the car to make it leak again and discovered that its coolant!

Where the hell is this coming from?
Background:
I have disconnected the heater, so not that.
I don't run the air con, so not condensation from there, plus its green not clear...
I have just replaced radiator, hoses and thermostat. (and none appear to be leaking although I'll triple check)
When warmed up, the system appears to pressurise ok.

I'm thinking but hoping its not a leaking welch plug.
Could also be the heater pipe? the one that comes out the thermostat housing? although it drips off the back not the front so I dunno about that one.

What else could is possibly be?

Kingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Ok just double checked all hoses, thermo housing, heater pipe, and... no leaks...
but its still trickling somewhere down the back and dripping off the front of the trans.

Also, no coolant in the oil.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Leaking inlet manifold gasket or head gasket?Could also be the reason why youv'e had cooling system problems.You might want to get the cooling system pressure tested.Its the only way to check that the cooling system and gaskets etc are 100% ok.This test is cheap to get done.You dont always get the telltale white slime under the oil cap or oil in the radiator when a head or inlet manifold gasket blows or leaks.It just depends where abouts the gasket leaks or blows out.

Kingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
I just changed the inlet gasket a while ago, it was a prick of a job, pretty sure I did it right. I had alot of condensation coming out the exhaust had a search around the forums and thought that might be the cause. Not sure if it did much, but the old gasket looked rooted.
On idle my car does seem to miss a little not much (possibly head gasket gone or motor just old), and also my engine mounts are shagged so I think that might be causing some vibrations that would make it seem like its missing too.

I've been thinking about getting a pressure test, might just have to, although I wanted to get everything I could all good before I went and did it, no point if the cap was leaking, hole in the radiator etc.

Had another look under there and discovered coolant down the front right under/near the aircon compressor, looks like its trickled down and along a wire conduit to the back. Hopefully thats the source of my leak. So, the leak could be coming from the water pump or bottom radiator hose and making its way to the back along the conduit. I'll go pressure clean it all up and see if I can trace it, its all covered in degreaser at the moment :)

sus steven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 AND VL CALAIS TURBO
speedo o ring pull it out an change it they leak from there alot common problem

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
speedo o ring pull it out an change it they leak from there alot common problem

WOT.

Maybe the welch plug at the back of the block?

(as above)

Last edited:

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
i didnt know there is one there, but i read this post in teh VP forums

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if its leaking out the bellhousing rear welsh plugs or the alloy rear main seal block has cracked it passes water from one side to the other