Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v6 getting rattley

scottmcguinness172

Reaction score
hey all i noticed they other day when i was going up a hill from a standing stop i went to take off and the engine started to rattle sounds like its coming from the bottom end its got 205000ks on it is this normal for them?

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
hmm, it all depends on the life of the car i suppose... my first VR had well over 300,000km's (it stoppped on 310,00km's, but we kept driving it for another 4 years.. that was a long time ago and since then the car has been put into retirement)... but even with 350,000km's (estimate) on the clock, it never had any major engine issue's...

scottmcguinness172

Reaction score
so is it worth pulling the motor out and checking or even replacing the bearings? or just drive it till it dies and get another motor for it? its a ecotec if it helps

S2_VR_

Reaction score
Members Ride
03' M6 VY SS ute
hmm, if it were me.. i'd drive it till it dies... then grab another engine..... but im not sure how much it'd be to get the bottom end done...

scottmcguinness172

Reaction score
i can do all the mechanical work my self im just chasing up info before i go pulling it out and finding out its something else thats wrong

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe try to find the actual cause of the rattle first as to me it doesn't sound like worn main or bigend bearings - it could be something very simple like plug misfiring or a hundred other things. If the motor was worn so bad that it was rattling it would usually be burning lots of oil and have the oil light on when idling.
So first you need to give more specific information - like does it use oil, coolant, overheat, what mods done? etc etc.

Reflector

Reaction score
Members Ride
Acclaim VS SII
Is your car fairly 'lumpy' when you sit in idle? Cause it very well may be your engine mounts. When I put my extractors on, I replaced the mounts (190000k+ on the clock) and the old mounts where worn down so far the bolt was rubbing against ****. Might be worth a look :thumbsup:

scottmcguinness172

Reaction score
it doesnt use oil no mods at all stock engine and **** i havnt changed plugs and leads yet thats next on my list it doesnt idle rough at all

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My guess only, but I'd say you have nothing to worry about. Just for luck, I'd make sure that you are using the recommended 20W/50 oil and not a lighter oil.

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
3 things come to mind. Cam bearing, cracked driveplate or a rattly cat. Or none of the above lol.