Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 hesitation on acceleration, miss on idle as well

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
Thanks for the advice people, I now have a new set of leads to put on, as I didn't have any spares.
I will do some over the next few days, and post back.
Fingers crossed

Pete

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey Pete
i've been down this road a few times as well, and the best advice was at the start by losh and vs-lover!
also be very wary of bench-testing the coils or leads etc, as during the last "miss/hesitate/backfire" experience
in my car, all the coils and leads checked out fine, but put them under load and they usually will fail again
leading to even more head scratching and frustration!!!
I was lucky with son having brand new set of leads for a v8, so just swapped one bank at a time and narrowed it down from there.
now the car is running the best it ever has, even though I was certain it would be the damn coils again... good luck :)
Sorry I only just thought to ask, what did yours turn out to be iana57

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
As nice as it is to find the culprit, I would be dropping a full set of new leads and plugs on. No point having 1 spanker and the others 60k + that may fail in the coming months, giving you more grief.

Plugs and leads are cheap enough to replace as a set

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi people

I've done new leads 2 days ago, and I've changed out coil packs with what I think are good ones. I don't have a brand new one to swap out / in.

Now I'm curious as to how the coil pack plug gets corroded, as my number 2 on coil pack has done on 2 different coil packs.

I will get a new set of plugs a.s.a.p

Pete

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Evening,

I've also just done spark plugs this afternoon.
No difference in the miss, it still has one.
I listened to the injectors, apart from one I couldn't reach, and they all sounded consistent. Tick tick tick tick..

I was reading another thread earlier on, and they say it could be oxy sensors,which I did change about a year and a quarter ogo. Or even a broken valve spring?

Sigh

Pete

iana57

Reaction score
Members Ride
stock VS 3.8L Auto
Sorry I only just thought to ask, what did yours turn out to be iana57

sorry for the late reply mate, it turned out to be leads! I didn't bother to narrow it down further than left bank, just replaced the lot,
even though the old ones checked out fine with a multimeter!
thinking back to the last time I had these issues, car still had hesitation under load and wouldn't kick-down properly (4/3)
after replacing the coils...I was just relieved to have finally got it to run OK again!

And thinking back some more (difficult) being quite silly...thats how this car had ALWAYS run, lots of hesitation when it should have been kicking down over 90!
I would just shift from D to 3 to save the drama without a second thought hahahaha, I'm just gonna blame it all on the medication!!!

Last edited:

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
sorry for the late reply mate, it turned out to be leads! I didn't bother to narrow it down further than left bank, just replaced the lot,
even though the old ones checked out fine with a multimeter!
thinking back to the last time I had these issues, car still had hesitation under load and wouldn't kick-down properly (4/3)
after replacing the coils...I was just relieved to have finally got it to run OK again!

And thinking back some more (difficult) being quite silly...thats how this car had ALWAYS run, lots of hesitation when it should have been kicking down over 90!
I would just shift from D to 3 to save the drama without a second thought hahahaha, I'm just gonna blame it all on the medication!!!
I'm also blaming it on the medication haha.

I still have a darn miss
Spark plugs new, plug leads new, tps is new delphi, cas new delphi, oxy sensors new a year and a half ago suppose to be bosch, new iat sensor fuel miser.
Not brand new- recond injectors, coil packs and dfi module 2nd hand.

I'll have to try the one from the dfi and coil packs from the VR on the VS and see if there's any difference.

Pete

iana57

Reaction score
Members Ride
stock VS 3.8L Auto
I'm also blaming it on the medication haha.

I still have a darn miss
Spark plugs new, plug leads new, tps is new delphi, cas new delphi, oxy sensors new a year and a half ago suppose to be bosch, new iat sensor fuel miser.
Not brand new- recond injectors, coil packs and dfi module 2nd hand.

I'll have to try the one from the dfi and coil packs from the VR on the VS and see if there's any difference.

Pete

I feel your pain Bru...
just wondering tho, with all the stuff you've changed, have you ever done a computer reset??
since you are chasing your ass anyway, and it wont cost a cent... you just never know!

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
One thing that concerns me is the reco injectors. I've bought a set in the past and my old ones checked out perfect and the reco set were all over the shop.

Why did you change injectors?

Q, how long have you had the miss for?