Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 high idle.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Hey guys, just wondering what your opinion is on my idle, i think it's a bit high and I've kept putting off making a video, so here it is.
I changed the IAC and TPS last week, the O2 sensors just yesterday and reset the ECU twice.
Other info is it's done about 203,XXX kilometers, oil and filter changed about 900 kilometers ago with 20W50 mineral oil, trans serviced in October, oil and filter, air filter, plugs and leads, another alternator too as mine wasn't charging, this one is a 100A off a VT? all done at 197,XXX kilometers.
Also have a mail order memcal from The1 with the harder shifts, 81c thermostat and optimized to run on 95/98 octane fuel.
Running 235/40/17 tires if that makes any difference too.

Pretty sure I've listed all the details, here's the video.
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vELllO0ps[/YOUTUBE]

Nick.

Last edited:

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I always get problems with high idle it drove me nuts trying find it until one day I found the wires to the IAC were a bit tight and the plug wasn't contacting properly and on at least two occasions the little dick even broke off the IAC were the plug clip catches

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
how high does it idle

aussie bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Exec S2
Were the iac and tps genuine? Or did you buy cheap eBay 1's? I had a similar problem with high revs and engine light coming on and it was because of the eBay iac and tps

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Last edited by a moderator:

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Were the iac and tps genuine? Or did you buy cheap eBay 1's? I had a similar problem with high revs and engine light coming on and it was because of the eBay iac and tps
They are the Repco brand ones and the IAC has a VDO sticker on it, both have the exact same markings as the ones that were on the car.
The IAC is different as it has a spring, whereas the one on the car didn't and it was always stiff.

Compared to a VY it's not the same with startup as I've noticed, although similar..
With a VY it goes to 1500 rpm but goes straight down to about 800 instead of lingering and taking its time to go down..

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Compared to a VY it's not the same with startup as I've noticed, although similar..
With a VY it goes to 1500 rpm but goes straight down to about 800 instead of lingering and taking its time to go down..

Better to compare it with another VS. Have you cleaned the MAF yet.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
It's the only car I can compare it to that has a Ecotec around here, don't know anybody else with a VS V6 :(
It's on my to do list, it's a replacement for my old one that conked out, should of cleaned it when I got it!

Tomorrow I'll be cleaning out the plenum, throttle body and around the IAC/TPS areas closely in the throttle body to see if that helps.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
When cold, my VS V6 will rev up around 1500 rpm for 30 seconds to a minute (depending on the temp) until it stabilises and then it drops the revs back to around 700 -800 rpm. I dont ever have to touch the throttle at startup, just hit the key and away she goes. MY VY V6 does pretty much the same thing but seems to stabilise quicker than the VS.