Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VS V6] intermittent electrics and engine cutout during fog

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Hey everyone, just thought i'd get a few peoples opinions on this. The other day I was driving through leopold and there was THICK fog, I mean thick maybe 15% visibility really thick fog like nothing i've ever seen.

Anyways i'm not sure if it was related or I just noticed it then, but when I flicked my high beams on all the interior lights would dim. And at one point for some reason everything just cut out, including engine for a second then came back on, the cd stopped playing and just kept on going.

Since then I have noticed some minor occurrences of this, anyone have ideas of what it could be?

I know my crank angle sensor is on it's way out (getting the error code) is that the problem or could it be something else?

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
sounds like battery and or alternator reg on its way out. i would get the battery load tested and the out put of the alternator tested

Kurtp

VR Buicks > You ;)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 Sedan
It is most likely the alternator or reg. But you may just need to change the brushes. I had a similar issue with all the electricals turning off intermittently when driving, and my alternator was shagged. Grab out the multimeter and check the current flow whilst car is running, you should see around 13.5 stable, if its really high or low or fluctuating you should pull out the brushes and check them.

Your engine cutting out suggested an alternator issue though.

Last edited:

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
thanks guys, I was reading somewhere on these forums about the alternator making a high pitched tone when the ignition is on ACC (dash lights on, but engine not started) mine does that apparently that means it's dying.

can you explain what the bushes are and roughly how to change them etc?

If it is the alternator thats covered under warranty :D

bulldog79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais .vs commodore
would this thread have any thing to do with the do u beleave thread ?

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
thanks guys, I was reading somewhere on these forums about the alternator making a high pitched tone when the ignition is on ACC (dash lights on, but engine not started) mine does that apparently that means it's dying.

can you explain what the bushes are and roughly how to change them etc?

If it is the alternator thats covered under warranty :D

ive been having a few charging issues with my car, just changed the brushes in the alternator and its still not getting great charge. I can hear the high pitched tone coming from mine.. can anyone else tell us more about this noise???

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
as for changing your brushes, its prob easier for you just to buy a new regulator if you have never done them before.
New brushes $3.90 or new reg $55. The brushes are in the regulator in the back of the alternator, you have to un-solder them and then re-solder in the new ones. The reg just unscrews out the back of the alternator. Took me around 30 mins to do mine.