Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 new ignition barrel fitted, turns but won't kick over.

HoldenGal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 V6 Exec, Holden Opel
Hi all, haven't been on here for ages but good to be back. I've just had a locksmith come out & put a new ignition barrel in my VS, someone tried to steal my car after snatching the keys off me, I managed to stop them but in all the commotion he snapped my key off in the barrel. I still have the lock/unlock paddle & that's was undamaged, he broke all the plastic mouldings that sits around the steering column & the purple key reader wire was snapped, I've since just wired it back together, all dash lights come on so it seems to be working. The car has also been off the road & not started for 12 months but was in perfect running order beforehand. The engine is turning but not starting at all. NOT THE BATTERY GOT A NEW ONE. Can someone please help me???? :hmmm:

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Key needs to be coded.

HoldenGal

Reaction score
Members Ride
So it is the key? I did call the locksmiths back to come back out & sort it but when they came back out they said it wasn't their problem because all the dash lights where coming on so therefore the immobiliser was disarming, then charged me another $80 on top of the $300 it had already cost for the new ignition barrel 2 days beforehand. So it's the key Blade? So is this the locksmiths error? If so what do u suggest I say when I call them to come back out, if not where do I go to get it coded? Cheers

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Key needs to be coded.

It would not crank if that was the case. If still using the original key head that will not be the problem.

When the immobiliser disarms the flashing red light will stop flashing.

Since the car has been sitting for 12 months I would be checking the fuel pump.

CRCinAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 EQUIPE
If it was the key, it wouldn't even turn the engine over... I don't think this is your problem...

HoldenGal

Reaction score
Members Ride
I am using the original key head.So it's not key? Look ONLY the key blade, the silver metal bit has been replace because it snapped off in the ignition barrel SO I had a locksmith come & fit a new ignition barrel so therefore I have a new key blade. The key head or paddle, the black plastic piece is the original one, its got the lock/unlock buttons on it & the little ball bearing looking thing on it that holds the metal strips down on the key reader THAT STILL THE ORIGINAL KEY HEAD. So not the key? Can anyone help me out please

HoldenGal

Reaction score
Members Ride
What do u think is the problem, the engine doesn't start, it only cranks. FUEL? INJECTORS BLOCKED? The cars been sitting for 12 mths without being started at all... My stupid cat has been squeezing up from underneath the engine to the top of engine with the bonnet shut & sleeping there DON'T ASK, it's a weird cat & a big cat too, was thinking he's pulled something out somewhere???

HoldenGal

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know, I'm sick of repeating myself too. Ok so not key, any suggestions?

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
You just posted twice in two minutes.

Someone already suggested the fuel pump, I was also going to suggest the same thing.

Can you hear it run up when you turn the key to the 'On' position? If not that would be the first place I would start checking.