Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v6 very strange rev problem

Niggadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Caprice V8. 1996 Proton satria.
Mums VT did the same thing at 120thou on the clock..
When it was running cold, we'd be doing 60 along nepean highway and it would just randomly downshift to second from intermediate fourth, the Mechanics said it was just the solanoid problem and also line pressure.
Got a reco'd tranny put in it, and decided to go with an electrical shift kit to improve lifetime.

Runs fine now...

By the way, does yours actually downshift? if so, to what gear? might be the same problem...

crazymum10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
No, mine doesn't downshift, it stays in same gear and keeps driving, it's just the rev's that go really high. If I pull over and put it in neutral, the revs will still sit over the 2 grand. If I turn it off and back on, usually it will be back to normal although sometimes it's still high. Keep driving and it often goes down. Drive more and it often happens again but can't find any sort of common action that makes it go high.

PHAT_pudding

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive SII
mine does the same thing, but only when its been running for like an hour or 2 straight at 90-100kmh. and always happens when cruise control is on.

the first time this happened i turned off the cruise control, tried the pedal (still revvd out), then slowed down and changed the auto to 3rd (still revvd out), then pulled over and waited a bit. then it was fine. only happened twice over 3 years, but its friggen weird when it happens

kr00kd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Acclaim V6
Do you get any error codes? It sounds sorta like the cruise control module thinks the auto has down shifted and increases revs accordingly.

PHAT_pudding

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive SII
nahh i don't think its the cruise control downshifting. it feels more like clutch plate slip. the only thing thats constant with the different situations people have talked about is that it occurs whilst in the overdrive gear, so maybe its something related to that.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Could it be a problem with the TPS ? could be telling the ecu the throttle is open ?
Does the VY have a throttle cable or is it drive by wire? Try revving it when it happens , might settle down.

Tao

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
My car has been having the exact same problems. Seems like the car stays in first too long, then stays in second too long, then will settle down with normal driving. Then if i come to a corner and have to slow down or stop, it happens again when i speed back up to 50/60. I can't seem to figure what the problem could be.