Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs v6 who can do memcals?

350chev1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 2 commodore
as the title states i am looking for somone to do up a memcal for my 96 vs v6 however i do have a few questions about there effects.

1) how much power are we talking here and and what cost to economy
2) it is completely stock (just been rebuilt) now if i add some bolt-ons like extractors CAI or even high ratio rockers will i need to tune again
3) if i would need a retune can i just list the mods and have a tune sent or will i need a dyno
4) i would like to stiffen up gear changes maybe even get a 1st-2nd chirp can this be done with a memcal
5) so that brigns us to who? how much? and do you need my existing chip or can one already tuned be posted

i would also like som1 to help clear this up for me, the cars tune is stored on the memcal right? so how come i have been getting told that with a turbo/supercharger or even a big cam a whole new ecu is needed costing like $1K minimum.

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
No limit performance in Wollongong will look after you. Search for them on Facebook for contact details

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
A full dyno tune usually goes for around $1000. The stock ecu is retained and the completed tune is just written onto the memcal.

It usually costs $1000 due to the tuners software (tuning tool) costing thousands of dollars as well as their expertise having taken years yo develop and build up. Same reason a mechanic costs $80-$180/ hr.

Where are you located and we may be able to refer you to someone more appropriately

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Delcowizzard and the1 on here can do tunes.

Some tuners either can't or don't want to tune the VS memcal and would rather sell you an aftermarket ECU.

Depends entirely on what you want. The more power you want, the less ecomony you will get

2) it is completely stock (just been rebuilt) now if i add some bolt-ons like extractors CAI or even high ratio rockers will i need to tune again
Not necessarily, but you will gain a small amount with a retune

3) if i would need a retune can i just list the mods and have a tune sent or will i need a dyno
The first bit

4) i would like to stiffen up gear changes maybe even get a 1st-2nd chirp can this be done with a memcal
Not in the VS. Even though it is electronic, it is not controlled via a memcal tune, you will need a shift kit

5) so that brigns us to who? how much? and do you need my existing chip or can one already tuned be posted
See the top of my post. Usually they can send you a tuned memcal on an exchange basis

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Been busy lately with family stuff so havn't had much time for tuning, though im sure Delcowizzid or others can help you just the same.

What car what mods? Reading below it looks like it's stock, so really just fixing things that can be made better with stock tune, dont expect anything but seat of the pants.

No you wont, but if your getting a tune done get it to suit, WOT fueling can be tweaked, better results from more timing for 98ron fuel and loads of other stuff

Either or, Realtime in person or on dyno will get better results.

Can increase line pressure on a VS epecially at WOT which isn't full line pressure on the VS till 97km/h, stock shift pressure increase is 3psi, 6psi usually makes a good difference to shift times, although for best results you will want some upgrades done to the box, these can be done without removing the box, things like 2nd gear corvette servo for band holding, 1-2 Accumulator upgrade with stronger spring in conjunction with a tune will make 1-2 shift quicker but not harshly.

Whoever you comfortable with, i dont really have set rates, it depends on the amount of work, i can include a new memcal.

i would also like som1 to help clear this up for me, the cars tune is stored on the memcal right? so how come i have been getting told that with a turbo/supercharger or even a big cam a whole new ecu is needed costing like $1K minimum.
Most dyno places or professionals go this way to eliminate the limits of the stock pcm once getting higher boost, say more than 14psi or 1bar, this way they can use the system they know how to tune and also typically make more money from a package deal. If you want to stay with stock pcm and running big boost then look for a kalmaker tuner, they can run modified code on the stock pcm to run a multi bar map sensor with more boost. Personally myself anything from a cam up i will only tune if logs files are provided, otherwise it's just a guessing game. Usb adaptor and software is cheap, all you need is a laptop. If you get really keen then you can also fit a wideband kit and wire into pcm so we can also log that for accurate fuel tuning.