Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V8 Caprice weird transmission issue

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
So this issue has come back with a vengeance the last few days. It happened 3 different times today, no engine light at any of these times. What's happened a few times recently is, after cruising for while, say 10-20 minutes at about 90-100km/h, bout 16-1700 rpm in 4th, nice and smooth, all sweet. Slow down at some lights, then take off, and it's in second, holds second for too long, revs to about 35-3800 but only doing about 20-30km/h, then slams into 3rd, and sane thing, won't shift up from there, and revs really high, but hardly moves!! If I pull over, turn it off, start it again instantly, it goes back to normal, although I get a pretty bad burnt toast type smell (haha, that's honestly what it smells like).

Could it be something to do with the torque converter?? The TCC solenoid maybe? It's just weird that as soon as you turn it off, it's fine again a second later at start up. So something is locking up, then releasing at shut off.

MIK85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Caprice 5.0
Extractors and exhaust system fitted yesterday. Wouldn't start for a few goes, would turn over but not fire up. Then it just started fine. Then 15 minutes later, it stalled, same thing, wouldn't start for 10 minutes, then just started normal and drove fine.

Question is, could the hollowed cats being playing games with the o2 sensor and causing weird issues??

KhaosInc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V8 M5
Your bulb might be blown for it and might be tripping codes but you don't know.

The knock sensor is only for fuel cutting when the engine is pinging or knocking from bad fuel mixture.

I'd say check codes, but I've had those symptoms in a few Commodores and a new throttle position sensor fixed it. Could also be a pressure sensor in the transmission or a temp sensor in the transmission but all of these would be storing codes. If you follow the link in wozzas sig and put the codes up we can help, but check that the light comes on when you first turn the car to the on position before starting it to make sure the bulb is working.

If the bulb isn't working ring around auto trans shops and see if they will do a scan for free (good shop will), I did this when this kind of behaviour first happened to me and he pointed me to the throttle position sensor.

The plug for the transmission is on the drivers side just above on the top of the fluid pan in the middle.