Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V8 coolant loss

pikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute Manual 2009
Hi All
I have a Vs statesman V8 and it is loosing coolant but no signs of a leak. I am doing around 400k's a week and losing about a pint. The car runs fine. Is there a common cause for this or is it a garage job?

Thanks

Alan

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Leaks from the inlet manifold can be difficult to detect because the coolant pools on the top of the block when the engine cools off and then evaporates when the engine is hot. They can also leak from the radiator hoses and the heater hoses. Check and tighten the heater hoses at the water pump end and also at the firewall end. Ditto each end of the radiator hoses and make sure the radiator isn't leaking. Also check the heater hoses around the heater water valve on the driver side front of the engine (you will need to remove the engine covers). If you can't identify the source of the leak you will probably have to take it to someone to get a pressure leak test of the cooling system. Sometimes this test has to be done overnight. My wife's VS Clubsport had a similar coolant loss problem and after a pressure test it was identified as being an inlet manifold gasket problem. No repeat problem in the last 15 years.

pikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute Manual 2009
Many Thanks for your reply...Will have a good look at the weekend to see what i can find

pikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute Manual 2009
I had a good look yesterday and found the leak and it as BlackVXGTS suggested,the inlet manifold gasket..I can see a small amount of coolant leaking from just behind the thermostat housing, where the inlet manifold joins to the head...I called Holden for a quote to replace the gaskets a got a quote of $750 !!!(parts and labour) I might have a go myself at this as the parts are probably only around $100 and if it takes me 2 days its not an issue...Any tips/advice on the replacement procedure..

Many thanks

Alan

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Drop coolant before you pull manifold off and you might not get any coolant in block/oil but I'd plan on doing oil/filter change as well. Give all surfaces a real good clean. Use gasket sealant /silicone for manifold to block or at least for the corners where manifold, block and heads meet, make sure you a nice bit in corners or you'll get oil leaks . If spark plug leads, dissy cap , rotor button have not been done in ages, so much easier to do while manifold is off. Same for injectors , service kit for them even if you don't do a service kit on them but remove them from fuel rail and/or manifold make sure you lube the o rings when you reinstall them . All things that save doing again for a while, especially as a daily.

Last edited:

pikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute Manual 2009
Hi afstruct
Thanks for your help/advice...Will probably swap the gaskets next weekend if i get all the parts ready...I will let you know how it goes

Thanks again

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
No worries, something else I forgot to mention make sure you clean in valleys where injectors are any dirt loose crap that could fall into engine when you remove manifold