Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V8 egine issues

R

Rich v8berlina

I have V8 out of a HSV VS ute(195kw chip) with about 8500km on it from new and I have transplanted it into my TF rodeo ute with a T5 behind it. I am currently running the Rodeo speed sensor.

When running just after start up and on acceleration and decelleration it runs well, however on the freeway when at operating temp when running at constant RPM it feels like it just dies for a split second like a hiccup and runs again, I have checked my harness and no connections seem loose.

Could it be something like temp sender or speedo sensor not pulsing correctly or could it be something else?

Anyone got any ideas of where I can go next?

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
If you are using the Rodeo sensor it may have something to do with that. Is the diff ratio that you are using the same as well? If not, it sounds like the computer is getting a bad signal after switching into closed loop mode for economy.

R

Rich v8berlina

I was thinking that might be the case and my speedo is out a bit and the rodeo speed sensor is in the dash and it reads straight off the speedo cable so those combined could be the prob.

Thanks
Rich

W

wylde_VR5L

Hey there,

I had a similar problem, but with a carbied V8. It turned out to be a lean fire happening. We fixed the problem by putting 3 size up jets in the primaries and richened up the idle mix.

Could there be a chance one of the sencors could be causing this same type of thing to happen?
I'm not to cluey on EFI yet... but yeah... just my 2c

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
I had a similar prob in my 4.9L VL. Was driving ok but on the Hwy it would cough, miss and die occationally then a second later it was ok.
Then one day, at the beginning of a 4 hour drive on a trip away, did the same but died totally. Tried to crank the engine and and it was eratic. Seemed to spark, almost fire then die. What a night this was going to be, poking around in the dark with a torch thinking the worst :mad:
I thought I had stuffed the motor or done the timing chain. Then my girl friend ( who knows almost nothing about cars ) tried to help. Pointing out the things that were definately not the problem did nothing to help the situation, or my frustration.
That was until she pointed to the coil lead at the distributor cap and asked if that should be connected properly! DOH!! :eek:
Seems it had not been put on properly at a recent service and finally came off enough to kill the motor.
Check your simple things if you have not already - earth connections, leads and coil output, knock sensor connector ect.
Have you tried to get Holden to plug in a Tech computer to look for fault codes?
Good luck. :D

Tummz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR95HSVCLUBBY
Um bro last time my car played up like that it was that module thing on left inside guard it jst started 2 sputter nw n then 4 ages then it finaly packt it in wen i had my kidz in the car lol but sum1 was watchn ova my kids that night lol reached under pssnger seat coz i left a ratchet n sprk plug socket under thea jst incase sumfng did happen n thea was a spare module thea from my brothers ss