Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs v8 timing setting for worked engine

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Give COME Racing a ring. They are still building Holden stroker engines so have all the gear. They probably only provide a tuning service for their in-house products, but perhaps they can suggest someone else who could help you.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Why though? What made you think it was too advanced? Only because you checked it? Timing is relative. The book may say 10 deg base, but that is the factory setting. It still won't hurt it at 12-14 even on a stock engine. A built engine can run anywhere it feels right. Specs are just numbers, the real world will tell you where the engine is comfortable at.

What he says ^
I've set the timing on many older cars by "ear". Old holden motors were good for the timing marks moving as the harmonic balancer aged etc, so had no choice.

eko

3kO
Reaction score
Members Ride
Soon to own vb commy end of year
Might just adjust timing to were its comfortable at for time being if i was to go aftermaket ecu what ecu would suit the best theres alot on the market but not sure which is best

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Take it back to where it was then. If it was running sweet before, why did you change it? Advance it until it pings, then back it off until it doesn't.

^^^ Holden 5 Litre timing 101.

/thread

eko

3kO
Reaction score
Members Ride

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
last 304 i did on the dyno with small cam head shave and port tickle up was so rediculously lean the dyno guy stopped the run at 3000 rpm with the fuel ratio well in the 15:1 range before it even climbed very high in the revs.what injectors do you have are they bluetop stroker injectors if so they might be keeping it a bit richer luckily if they are stock 304 injectors from any model 304 it will be very lean right now and i would be babying it on the stock base timing setting

eko

3kO
Reaction score
Members Ride
last 304 i did on the dyno with small cam head shave and port tickle up was so rediculously lean the dyno guy stopped the run at 3000 rpm with the fuel ratio well in the 15:1 range before it even climbed very high in the revs.what injectors do you have are they bluetop stroker injectors if so they might be keeping it a bit richer luckily if they are stock 304 injectors from any model 304 it will be very lean right now and i would be babying it on the stock base timing setting

Im not 100% sure what injectors they are mate ill have a look during the week from what i can remember there grey siemens injectors if that helps