Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS - VY ecotec specs

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Does anybody know the differences between the VS and the VX/VY ecotecs and what they did to get the extra power from the later model ecotecs. is it a simple memcal upgrade or are there more things like intake/exhaust and cams involved etc

cheers

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
one query I have in regards to this also is...

on the VS ecotecs, they have a stupid air inlet which pulls hot air from behind radiator.

on the VT ecotecs they have a redesigned air inlet which pulls air from a slit on top of the radiator...

these two engines are both rated to have 147kw, even though one would think the redesigned air inlet would be good for at least one kilowatt???

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
The standard intake on the VR/VS is enough from stock to provide the engine with all the air it needs. The only thing is, at slower speeds, the engine gets hotter, and there is less airflow around the engine, meaning that the air that goes into the intake will be warmer than ambient temperature. This results in slightly more fuel use to make the same or less outputs of power.

Putting a CAI on just means air is sucked in from a location that is not effected by temp as much. Doesnt do anything for the flow of air, just means slightly lower temp. If you have a stock VR/VS, and have added the CAI on, you can probably vouch that there is no noticeable difference. The power that the manufacture specifies, in this case 147kW, is going to be when the engine is really working. As I said above, the airflow isnt any different.

If they were to compare the amount of fuel used by a VS and a VT, sitting in traffic, they would likely find that the one with the CAI was using slightly (very slightly) less fuel and having a bit more power available. If they were then to both let loose on a freeway, they could probably both pull even power from the engine.

Also remember, that 1kW is 1000 watts. If you know electricity, 1000watts is a fair bit of power.

According to carpoint.com.au (http://carpoint.com.au/car-review/ce2553.aspx), the extra 5kW the VX can put out is due to:

"A new drivetrain control computer with 33 percent more memory and a new inlet manifold are the key changes. The boost in computer power allows individual cylinder spark control, while the diecast inlet manifold has a centrally located crankcase ventilation outlet. Both measures contribute to the improvements."

The VY was also set at 152kW, so no increase there.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The air intake on a VS is not from behind the radiator - the intake is beside the radiator and the air which enters the intake comes from in front of the radiator and is cool air. Take a look yourself and you will see that it comes up from the bumper area.
I've attached a pix to illustrate - notice the intake beside (not behind) the radiator.

Attachments

• cai.jpg
    cai.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,750

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Hako is that one different from the VR? I replaced my original a long time ago, but Im sure that my VR intake didnt come out quite so far forward? Nice work on the pic by the way.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
Hako is that one different from the VR? I replaced my original a long time ago, but Im sure that my VR intake didnt come out quite so far forward? Nice work on the pic by the way.

not sure tbh but i took my little funnel peice out. didnt notice a difference but felt there was no real need for it

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
The air intake on a VS is not from behind the radiator - the intake is beside the radiator and the air which enters the intake comes from in front of the radiator and is cool air. Take a look yourself and you will see that it comes up from the bumper area.
I've attached a pix to illustrate - notice the intake beside (not behind) the radiator.

thanks for picking up my error.... i was wrong! i typed faster than my brain could keep up with.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
According to carpoint.com.au (http://carpoint.com.au/car-review/ce2553.aspx), the extra 5kW the VX can put out is due to:

"A new drivetrain control computer with 33 percent more memory and a new inlet manifold are the key changes. The boost in computer power allows individual cylinder spark control, while the diecast inlet manifold has a centrally located crankcase ventilation outlet. Both measures contribute to the improvements."

The VY was also set at 152kW, so no increase there.

so your saying the later ecotecs (VX/VY) have a better intake manifold. is it feasable to use these on the earlier models?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Dunno - but think the VR is different as it has a different AFM.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
doin some thread digging tonight, im putting a VT motor into my VS wagon and have discovered that the later models VX+VY have more power. apparently its in the inlet manifold + ecu, are those the only differences?? was there any changes in the heads? cam? just curious coz if i can get the later dated bits and put them on, then iv nearly got some free sxtra power...