Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS wagon bonnet won't open

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Hey guys,

As the title suggests, I can't open my bonnet! The lever feels like it's pulling the cable and I can hear it trying but no go. I tried to do it manually but not exactly sure how the mechanism works. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Another trick is to sit in the drivers seat with the window down and pull the release with your left hand whilst leaning your right arm out the window and thump the corner of the bonnet with your open palm. Usually works but fix the problem before it happens again!

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Thanks guys, tried both suggestions early today with no luck. Any idea if there is a way to manually do it?

deanos70

Reaction score
does it feel like the release lever in the car is pulling to far towards you or on an angle

i could get my bonnet open , see in the pic the white part on the side of bonnet release lever popped out and the lever would pull sideways stopping me from opening the bonnet

i had to push the side part in by hand then pull the lever to open bonnet

i ended up fixing it by drilling a small hole through that and the lever and putting a nut and bolt through it to stop it happening again

Attachments

• bonnet lever.JPG
    bonnet lever.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,570

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Another method or last resort is to unscrew the bonnet pin which holds the bonnet down. You need to get under the car and look up just in front of the aircon condenser and you will see the slot of the bonnet pin head. Use a long large flat screwdriver to unscrew this a few turns. It helps when doing this to have someone pressing down on the bonnet to relieve tension. See attached pix - first is bonnet pin with screwdriver in slot (bonnet up) and second pix is view from under car looking up with bonnet down and locked. Have fun.

Attachments

• bonpinscrew.jpg
    bonpinscrew.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 4,227
  • bonnetpin.jpg
    bonnetpin.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 2,605
Last edited:

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Once you've got it open, apply some grease to the bonnet pin.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hako, love your reply's with the pictures you take to help people out there great keep up the good work :)

By now you must have pictures of just about every part of your car lol

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Thanks guys - great tips and pics! The lever does feel a little sketchy so it could be that. I'll give it a try as soon as I get home from work and let you know how I go :)

coolngroovy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ Calais
My guess is that the outer cable has slipped in the keeper plate.
Remove the centre pin as described.