Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs wagon tailgate, same as vn ?

matt2950

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VN CALAIS 5.0
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone knows if VS tailgate's are different to VN?. I have been trying to fix a rather smashed VS wagon & the VN tailgate I put on it seems to be a little to narrow?.

Any help on this would be much appreciated..

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
bit too narrow? hmm, is it just around the edges it sits in a bit? maybe try adjusting the rubber stoppers out so it sits out a bit further.

ive noticed with my wagons, that the tailgates all sit in maybe half a cm or more compared to the body.

could you get a pic at all?

and as far as i know, vn-vs tailgates are all the same, bar the centre badge on vp and possibly onwards having holes in the tailgate to keep it there.

matt2950

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VN CALAIS 5.0
yes thats it, if you have noticed they sit in a bit that must be the way of them, the tailgate sits short of the body by about 5mm each side, or in my case 3mm on one side and 7 on the other due to the way its hanging from the hinges, I think where the hinges attach to the roof might need porta powering up 2mm on one side to make the tailgate hang more proper like.

Will try arrange some pix later but its kinda sad lol.. it had a big hit, it really should have been wrecked

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
lol, least you're getting it back on the road, did you pick it up cheap wrecked or happened after you bought it?

yeh, im going to get a brand new tailgate seal for the vp and see if it sits out enough to look decent.

matt2950

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VN CALAIS 5.0
Yeah it poped up on Tassiecars.com for $1500 as is .. I couldnt resist trying to fix it. I was between cars at the time!!

What you mean your tailgate sits in to much, I would have thought better IN than OUT ?.. does it angle out at the bottom or top or something like that ?.. cant you adjust the hinges at the roof or adjust the latch point at the floor ?..

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
haha, good stuff. how much damage? or will the pics tell all?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
This is the wagon tailgate I have.

Last edited:

matt2950

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VN CALAIS 5.0
IMGP2171.jpg

IMGP2168.jpg

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

matt2950

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VN CALAIS 5.0
theres been easier repairs!!, im not a panel beater either by the way, just trying to do my best!!..

OH YEAH, HAKHAWK.. and about this..

Latest Reputation Received

.. 92 V6 Verada, swap 4... 08-10-2005 07:57 PM I think I might waste your time with my opinion... my opinion is you shouldn't be abusing people like that mate. No one would trade a Commodore for a gay piece of **** Magna if they were drunk or stoned or both. You've got a VN Calais anyway.........

?? why is this comment in my user CP but not on the original thread?.
I would like to say I did not "abuse" anyone & if I did I would like to know how?, no one was interested in the car, just wanted to mouth off about it!.. which is enough to give anyone the ****s really, isnt it ?.

Last edited:

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
wow old thread, lol. was just stating my opinion in my post there, but i certainly didnt leave that reputation comment.(i know this, because i can still leave reputation on both you posts in that thread, once rep is left, i cant leave rep again for the same post)

i dunno about you abusing anyone, didnt look like it to me.

the rep comment left goes into your usercp because someone chose to give you a rep comment instead of posting. this lowers your reputation(as its a negative rep) and no one else can see it bar you and the mods/admin. the person can also remain anonymous to you.

anyway, cars looking like its getting there, you welded another corern on i assume?