Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs water pump - Electric pump.

Lazin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS V6 Wag
Hey all putting in an elec water pump when i get some free time, and was wondering if i need to take out the impellar in the water pump as well as the theromstat, and if so how diff is it going to be, i've taken the timing cover of before but didn't look at the pump back then.
Cheers.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You would need to take the impeller off the existing pump but leave the thermostat in because it still has a job to do. Never done one on a street car but have done a couple on race cars, the dirt track kind. Not too hard but you need a place to put the pump.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i'm going to assume that this is a davis craig water pump setup? you going to use the water pump controller also? interesting to see if there is any difference in economy, engine cooling etc. as said above, remove the impeller but leave the thermostat as it is there to maintain a certain minimum temp in the engine

Lazin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS V6 Wag
Cheers Abba Fan i was worried it would have some wierd contraption holding it together.

Yeah its a D,C.
The controller works as the thermostat, when you start up the car it pumps in slow pulses until it reaches your preset operating temp then it starts to flow smooth. if you get stuck in traffic then it keeps pumping at the optimum rate (no slow idle impeler=no buggered heads). So the thermostat comes out too.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
In that case it is fine to ditch the thermostat too. It would be a good idea to install a temp gauge though to keep an eye on the actual temperature.

Lazin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS V6 Wag
Just found this old post of mine thought I'd update it.
Pump is mostly good takes a while to reach op temp but when it does it keeps it very stable, but we had a couple 40+ days in Syd this summer and if you don't keep an eye on it the temp can jump up before the fans cool it and you get a few seconds of OH S##T before it drops back to normal,
I installed a fan override switch so that at any time (bad traffic+hot day+full load) I can hit the high speed setting.
I had the pump coupled with a 52mm rad and it ran too cold so have switched back to a stock size which seems to work better.
fan temps have been dropped a couple degrees to match.

billy bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SV6
Do a before and after dyno run. See what you pick up

Lazin

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS V6 Wag
A couple photos, pumps been on for about 2 years now so showing dirt.
Controller velcros inside fuse cover.
Pump motor on other side of pump sorry cant get round there.
As for power gains on a v6 probably only a couple hp.

Attachments

• 04052011292.jpg
    04052011292.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 04052011294.jpg
    04052011294.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 126