Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS won't turn over - need diagnosis

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
Hey guys,

I'm sure it is a common problem, but not sure yet...

I have a V6 VSii Comm.

Car not starting at all, has full charge, fuel pump is engaging but when I go to crank it there is just a single click/clunk from the engine and there's nothing.

I hadn't driven it for a couple of weeks and it was flat when I went to drive it, so I jumped it (I earthed it, not straight to the battery) and it started fine and was good the morning after.
Drove it to work and back, parked it in the driveway, went back out a couple of hours later to move it and it wouldn't start.

Obviously an electrical problem, not sure about the starter because there is absolutely no movement.

I did an error check and it came up nothing. (12)

Any ideas?

Would appreciate the help, I'm pretty handy at fixing anything, but I'm hopeless and diagnosis, and you guys ALWAYS find the problem for me to fix, time and time again.

Thanks in advance, the VS would have been thrown out years ago if it wasn't for this forum. Love it.

Last edited:

drift-it

Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 Px ranger 4x4
click clunk??? sounds like rooted battery (cca to low) or starter! if jump starting dont work anymore then pull the starter out and test it...or just replace it. i no the process of elimination is not the best way to diag but atleast you no u now have a new starter/battery and it wont fail u for a while to come.

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
The battery is almost brand new, there is plenty of charge.

Could be the starter, but I thought that would crank a bit even if it's nearly dead.

ShawtyNate

In the feels.
Reaction score
Members Ride
tap the starter with a hammer then try. or try shaking the battery and jiggle the wiring, sometimes mine just goes clunk, i have to jiggle the battery along with the wiring

vs-v8-ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
this happended on my mates vs he had the same problems as you it was his starter that was rooted

aussiebluVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr commodore
I've had the same problem with my vr later found out it was the alternator

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
I would think it would still start if it was the alternator if it still had full charge?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
A faulty alternator wont actually stop the car from starting,as long as the battery is fully charged,it will start.Once the car starts though,with no alternator charging the battery, it will only run for half an hour or so before the battery will be drained.Years ago on with cars that had points and mechanical fuel pumps etc,you could drive around all day with no alternator,just on a fully changed battery alone.These days with EFI and electric fuel pumps etc,about half an hour is it..

Cobra Clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ii
A faulty alternator wont actually stop the car from starting,as long as the battery is fully charged,it will start.Once the car starts though,with no alternator charging the battery, it will only run for half an hour or so before the battery will be drained.Years ago on with cars that had points and mechanical fuel pumps etc,you could drive around all day with no alternator,just on a fully changed battery alone.These days with EFI and electric fuel pumps etc,about half an hour is it..

Yeah, I remember you could start a car with a borrowed battery and take the battery out and the car would keep running if you didn't have jumpers.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Yeah, I remember you could start a car with a borrowed battery and take the battery out and the car would keep running if you didn't have jumpers.

Thats only when the alternator is working.