Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 1998 vtpc97a Airbag fault light

Pixmyster

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT EXECUTIVE
Just to give you a background i bought this car from a private sale, it has been recently registered on the 28/01/2012 so, i assumed everything from that was fine, however i was told the airbag error light was on and needed to be reset by a mechanic, so i took the car to a trusted mechanic and he could not reset it he said the car had airbag seats in it, and they are no longer in it, and would need to go back in order to reset the dash,

its my understanding that if the cars had airbags in the seats there was identifying marks in the door frame on the seat and a couple of other places but from when i looked at it i couldnt see any of these marks,

im just wanting to confirm if this model definitely had car seat airbags, and if it did do i have to buy new seats to pass next rego?

i hope this also helps others out there also.....

vtv8guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive 5.7ltr 6spd manual
if your talking about the light i'm thinking of I beleive that is the seat belt pretentioner light. It just looks like an airbag light. I got 2000 vt S2 an never heard of seat airbags.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
more likely if your mechanic is competent the number of loops is set wrong in instrument cluster,
somebody has probably changed instrument cluster to
a get 3 window display
b lower the kilometers
c had dodged original cluster up

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I doubt that a series 1 Executive would have side air bags. If it did it will have SRS airbag on the side pillar, on the black plastic part in between the front door windows and the rear door windows. There should also be a sticker inside the door frame warning about putting seat covers on.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
No VT commodore,built with side airbags untill 1998.Even then it was an optional extra for Acclaim and upward models.

SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) stickers only indicates two or more airbags,NOT for side airbags.

Car with that light on CAN NOT receive a RWC / Blue Slip.For your own safety and piece of mine take it to Holden.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) stickers only indicates two or more airbags,NOT for side airbags.
Mine has SRS AIR BAG written on the horn pad, SRS AIR BAG on the passengers side dash pad and SRS SIDE AIR BAG on both side pillars.

dwayno80

Reaction score
Members Ride
dumped vk 202 efi calais mok-up.
yeh it can be activated by seat belt pre tensioners... eg if a car reverses into you in a car park... it may not damage bumper.. but can set it off..... worst case scenario is if you crash your airbag will not inflate, or go to holden dealer n they can reset it for a cost... i drove mine for 6-7 yrs with light on... up to you. VTs i believe only ever had dual airbags at most.....